Google - Great company, but poor low-level management and hiring process. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Great company, but poor low-level management and hiring process."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits.
Wide range of products to work on.
Name recognition conveys huge status.
Great people and culture.

Cons

Google has an enormous number of divisions, and I can only speak to the one I ended up in - YMMV.
My work area was a warehouse with open ceilings, concrete floors, and metal desks arranged in groups of six people in a workspace.
The interview process was generic, so that once you are approved, you go into a pool of candidates from which managers pick new hires. I only had a half-hour phone interview with my future boss before I had to decide whether to take the position.
My boss never allowed me to work with anyone on a project to get me up to speed, despite numerous requests for help. He assigned me the task of writing the specs for a major modification which included several groups not in my area - a task I would not expect of anyone with less than two years experience in the division, yet he assigned it to a person with less than four months experience.
HR won't let you change groups until you have completed a year in your first position, so no allowance for bad fits is made.

Advice to Management

Don't waste your employees. HR should strive to find a good fit for a qualified candidate that is struggling in one group rather than turning it into a sink or swim proposition.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "Great first job"

Pros

People development, perks, global experience

Cons

Huge company, somewhat bureaucratic

"Good place overall"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and it just comes with performance and promotions, you don't need to negotiate it. You get the chance to work with and learn from some amazing people. Very high code quality, not just at the level of coding style or individual classes, but the overall system architecture, things tend to be really thought through, stupid things don't happen.

The company is very helpful with immigration issues. Good 401k program.

Cons

Google's tech stack is big and complex. You will be spending a lot of time figuring out how to plug together various systems and APIs. You may be spending a lot of time looking at various status pages, trying to understand whether your tasks are doing what they should with acceptable performance and why not and which obscure configuration option you need to tweak to make them. A lot of what you will need to learn to do the job will be specific operational knowledge about how to work that unwieldy beast that is Google's infrastructure.

The code complexity is considerable, which means that implementing simple features can take much more time than you'd think it should. It also means it can take a lot of time to get to the point when you feel like you at least somewhat know what you're doing.

The company keeps the copyright to all your hobby projects. They have a system through which you can ask that the copyright be released to you on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes they'll say yes sometimes they'll say no.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.