Google - a good company | Glassdoor

"a good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good technology, smart people, can move within company with descent support.

Cons

Lots of energy and time wasted on politics. More people than the work needed.

Advice to Management

Cross sites interaction is tough.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super nice and its great to create your own work schedule.

Cons

There are not enough trees in the offices and the fish tanks get dirty sometimes.

Advice to Management

Promote more people.

"Simply amazing workplace with incredible opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We work with some of the smartest, most ambitious, and intelligent people around. The problems that we tackle are have great impact worldwide. The work is incredibly challenging and interesting. We're constantly told to think bigger. We really are trying to change the world.

We have a great amount of resources at our fingertips. With a couple of commands, I can run a service on thousands of machines worldwide. We have access to pretty much what we need to do our job.

Because Google is involved in a large number of industries, there are plenty of opportunities abound to find something that you're interested in. We are highly encouraged to move around the company.

The company really takes care of us professionally and personally. The benefits are incredibly high. My team has been on offsites to Tahoe, Vegas, and Hawaii in the last year. The company creates an environment where you don't really want to leave campus.

Lastly, being on the inside and seeing all of the technology before it launches is really like seeing the future. Some of the unannounced products that we're working on is science fiction.

Cons

There are many projects that get rejected or shutdown because they aren't Google-scale. Any of these projects that gets rejected would be really successful if it was created by a startup. This also means that the bar for launch is much higher.

Google is no longer a startup. It is hard to move fast. We try to balance creating innovative products and a consistent user experience that makes it hard to move quickly as you end up spending a lot of time trying to integrate into existing products.

You are working with incredibly intelligent and incredibly ambitious people. This makes the environment a bit competitive and people focused on what gets them ahead.

Advice to Management

L-Team, keep up the good work.