Google - Work hard, Play harder | Glassdoor

"Work hard, Play harder"

Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within my team, we have a particularly flat hierarchy, though it can be quite hierarchical when interfacing with executives above our team. We have opportunities for mutual feedback with coworkers, a strong focus on increasing team well-being/happiness, lots of team bonding events, and a high drive towards personal growth. The overall company has an atmosphere of conviviality that is energizing.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a bit difficult because of the pressure from executives outside our team; however, leads work to be role models of work-life balance in order to encourage associates to manage their schedules as necessary to protect personal happiness.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to Googlers when they raise issues: they are your pulse on the Google reputation. Keep the wonderful attention to culture!

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "Awesome place to work."

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and big challenges to work on. They really take care of their people.

Cons

There's a lot going on and sometimes work/life balance suffers.

"Great company but chaos and churn can be grinding"

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, benefits, perks, possibility of travel, variety, opportunities to take on lots of different projects, freedom to define the scope and direction of work, smart people.

Cons

Leadership with ADD, constant change of direction/priorities, reorgs, churn, turnover, duplication of effort, lack of accountability, chaos, etc. that sometimes leads to inferior results, unfinished work, unequal treatment, and burnout. In some offices, overcrowding and poor physical conditions.

Advice to Management

They need to do more to retain existing employees long term and encourage better work-life balance: the hiring juggernaut is not a solution to attrition. I also think that the decision to grow headquarters disproportionately to all others is an unfortunate mistake.