Google - Great job, with caveats | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Great job, with caveats"

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA
Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Everything you hear about Google is true, there are a lot of great perks and amenities for you to enjoy, and they are always looking to improve. Great company culture, very open minded and encouraging

Cons

Can get pigeonholed into certain tasks, some mobility difficulties

Advice to Management

Great job, especially with communication and culture, advise more on mobility

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"too big for me, but forever grateful for my time there. Perks are amazing. Honeymoon didn't last as long as anticipated"

Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers that you hang out with outside of work. My manager was awesome but varies team to team (overall great). perks seem obvious. all your friends will be happy to visit you in the bay. getting an interview after Google is easy as pie.

Cons

can be too big for an entrepreneur to thrive (non-engineering). hard to move up. Overall, hard to bad mouth. Its pretty awesome

"Contract position with Google"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Google as a contractor

Pros

I got to work with some of the most amazing people, on an innovative new product.

Cons

I would strongly recommend against a contract position. Fact, they just aren't as invested in your development as they would be if you were an employee. I would recommend a full-time employee position at another company versus a contract position at Google. Do not accept a contract position with the mindset that you will be converted. The conversion rate is shockingly low.

Advice to Management

My managers were alarmingly inexperienced. One was brilliant behind a computer, but had no clue how to interact with people, that's a problem when you are managing a team of over 20. My other manager (we were rotated between managers so often it was like a merry go-round)never took accountability for anything and was so inept, I could have done his job better.