Google - As good as I thought it would be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"As good as I thought it would be"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Good compensation, great benefits, great culture. Also, the fact that after working with Google, you can basically pick where you want to work next. Working on new and exciting projects (Android, etc.). Learning from the best is a great way to enhance your skills and develop professionally.

Cons

You gotta put a lot of work in, and working with so many talented people can be intimidating. Some of the people (especially people who were here before the IPO) can be a little full of themselves (but most people are pretty down-to-earth). Also, with so many people working there, sometimes it can be easy to feel a little powerless, and you might not have the same sense of personal accomplishment that you do with a smaller startup.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"As good as a large company gets"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Competent people. Enough resources to succeed. You have the chance to build products that millions of people will use, rather than worrying if you will be able to build something that anyone gets used.
    Management is generally in touch and cares--their opinions are sometimes wacky, but the fact that they know about every project and aren't being bamboozled by middle managers is a huge win as compared to most tech companies this size.

Cons

Politics have gotten worse.
    People have gotten more defensive in their decision making -- there's a disappointing lack of trust between employees that didn't exist in the past.
    We have hired too many people who are only interested in making themselves look good and have lost sight in what's best for the company as a whole, and management hasn't successfully recognized and fixed this in many cases.

Advice to Management

Lead by example in trying to keep politics out of the way.

2. "There is such a thing as a free lunch after all."

Current Employee - Planning Scheduling in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Planning Scheduling in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Google is not a conventional company, and we don’t intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world’s most successful organizations – a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind – but even as we continue to grow, we’re committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success. We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards.

Cons

Google has offices around the globe, from Bangalore to Zurich, but regardless of where we are, we nurture an invigorating, positive environment by hiring talented, local people who share our commitment to creating search perfection and want to have a great time doing it. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate about their lives as they are about their work.
    Lend a helping hand. With millions of visitors every month, Google has become an essential part of everyday life - like a good friend - connecting people with the information they need to live great lives.
     Life is beautiful. Being a part of something that matters and working on products in which you can believe is remarkably fulfilling.
    Appreciation is the best motivation, so we’ve created a fun and inspiring workspace you’ll be glad to be a part of, including on-site doctor and dentist; massage and yoga; professional development opportunities; shoreline running trails; and plenty of snacks to get you through the day.
    Work and play are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to code and pass the puck at the same time

Advice to Management

* Know what interests you about Google and why you've applied.
        * Familiarize yourself with Google's products and services here (you may be asked both business related questions). Research our competitors.
        * If you are interviewing for a software engineering or technical role, be ready to answer high-level technical questions on data-structures and algorithms. We would like you to code up your answers on boards with our engineers.
        * Familiarize yourself with the job description you are interested in.
        * If you are interviewing for a software engineering role then you may first want to visit the website www.topcoder.com. Please launch the 'Arena' widget and go to the practice rooms where you can solve problems in the first and second division.
        * Ensure you can substantiate anything your CV says - for instance, if you list Java or Haskell as your key programming language, questions about this are fair game and may be asked of you.