Google - Great place to start your career | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Great place to start your career"

Former Employee - Associate, Online Sales & Operations in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Associate, Online Sales & Operations in Mountain View, CA

Pros

It was a great place to be working for straight out of college. When you start work there they really take the time to make sure that you're trained properly so that you don't feel like a fish out of water like at other companies. Benefits can't be beat. Besides the free lunches, fantastic 401k, etc, you get large bonuses fairly often. Co-workers were intelligent and great to work with for the most part. I also had a great relationship with my manager and thought I was treated fairly, but it can vary widely at Google. All in all, there's few better places to start off for a young college grad.

Cons

As a non-engineer, your starting pay is pretty low. It's made up through bonuses and other compensation methods, but when I went to another company, it was harder to negotiate a higher pay due to my low base pay at Google. It's also starting to become a big company, so you have layers of middle management who are just a couple of years out of college and don't have the experience to manage people well. Most were great workers, but many don't understand that there's a large difference between doing your own work well and making sure that others do their work well through your guidance.

Advice to Management

Figure out constant new ways to empower employees to take risks.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "come for the perks, stay for the challenge"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

great perks.. the food at the cafeteria kept me up all night long
    the best and brightest engineers. Most people I am working with are very well-rounded, I feel I could learn a lot from most of them. I can contribute to products which are used by millions of people every day. I enjoy analyzing challenging problems and finding a cost effective solution. Flexible hours and relaxing working environments (including all the perks such as free meals.

Cons

When you start work there they really take the time to make sure that you're trained properly so that you don't feel like a fish out of water like at other companies. The free lunches, great 401k, etc, you get large bonuses that can make the difference in a long day

Advice to Management

stay active in the life of a project

2. "Best company I've worked at that hasn't gone under."

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The projects are interesting. There are interesting data sets to explore. There are cool tools to use, along with infrastructure for puttnig together new tools. The people are great--when you meet a "dud" at Google, it tends to stick in your memory since the duds are so rare. It's satisfying to work on a service that's helped so many people. The food is great; chefs are treated like rock stars and rightly so. The company has income; this is a pleasant change after working at other software development companies.

Cons

The bottom-up management style means that some good ideas with uncharismatic boosters get buried.

Advice to Management

Don't screw it up.