Google - Inconsistent managers plague Google | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Inconsistent managers plague Google"

Former Employee - Engineering and Sales in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Engineering and Sales in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Perks, food, successful company, some cool products, resume builder

Cons

Your time at Google is entirely dependent on the capabilities of your manager.

I worked in MTV for 4.5 years and I've never been at a place with more inconsistent quality of managers. I reported to 6 managers during my time. A few were great, but others were horrifyingly bad. Had enough with my last manager, who was self serving and not well liked by his group, yet the company did NOTHING to remove him. Decided to chart my own course by joining a startup that was more human focused. Have not regretted my decision whatsoever. Much happier now. Too many Google managers are often the victim of their own hubris + lack of real world experience.

In 2005, Google was a place where you could change things and make decisions quickly. Now, it is a place to be a cog in a giant profit machine.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people based on metrics like academic pedigree and grade point average. Focus on human skills and leadership ability. Proactively address cases of poor middle management rather than sticking your head in the sand.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

Pros

Terrific people, interesting and challenging problems to work on, with amazing collaborators at every level, high impact (huge numbers of users), wonderful work environment (food, space, lack of bureaucracy), awesome to be able to get help with whatever on a mailing list at practically any time of day or night.

Cons

C++ can be a pain (coming from lisp). It's good and bad that code changes so quickly that much of what one learns become rapidly obsolete -- and there's a gargantuan amount to learn, so one feels pretty inept for the first few months or more. Then again, it means things get better quickly when broken.

Advice to Management

Make clearer the leadership attention paid to concerns raised within the company.

2. "very good atmosphere."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

benefits, atmosphere, decorum, all very strong at google.

Cons

advancement opportunities stop after middle management

Advice to Management

keep doing it and you will have happy employees