Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation - Hypocrites & Sycophants | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Hypocrites & Sycophants"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Pays very well, excellent benefits, including vacation time.

Cons

- The competition in academia politics is the most vicious and bitter because the stakes are so low.
- The culture has a skewed sense of self importance that borders on delusions of grandeur.
- Filled with sycophants.
- Not a place to work if you have a sense of work pride.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring a candidate that is not from the "Good 'ol Boys" network.
Reward, compensation and promotion should be determined by performance not gossip.
Integrity should be demonstrated by leadership members and not be just a word listed on the value statement.

Other Employee Reviews for Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation

1. "Exceptional place to work, wonderful colleagues, extraordinary leader…"

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It blows my mind that a couple of the previous reviewers call out our current president, Harvey Fineberg, in a negative way.... Not sure what planet they live on… I have been in the workforce for over 30 years and never have I worked for a more competent, intelligent, empathetic, humble, or extraordinary leader than Harvey Fineberg. To those willing to be open to observing and learning about leadership, Harvey is a great model and the foundation is very, very lucky to have him. He is almost universally praised from within and by other organizations for turning around a completely dysfunctional organization left behind by the previous administration.

As most reviews have noted, the Moore foundation is a fun and exciting place to work. Salaries and benefits are generous. Employees are generally passionate, committed, and hardworking. Under Harvey Fineberg's leadership, the organization is not content with the status quo and is constantly looking for ways to improve itself, be more efficient, and make a lasting and enduring contribution to life on Earth. After my entire career working elsewhere, I feel downright privileged and spoiled working here! We are given a tremendous opportunity - and responsibility - to contribute to making the world a better place by wisely investing the economic resources of the Moore family.

The foundation is also blessed with a very clear "north star" to follow... We have a visionary yet pragmatic document - the Founders' Intent - written by Gordon and Betty Moore.... This document gives us great clarity as to what we should be striving to achieve and, equally important, how we should work and comport ourselves with others, including grantees, to achieve these results.

Cons

Uhhhhh.... Let me think..... Uhhhhh..... The coffee is too hot??? The weekly lunches provided by the foundation are too good???? The free snacks and drinks in the kitchens are too varied??? The receptionist is too nice and accommodating??? Really can't think of any cons… Again, it is truly a privilege and honor to work at the Moore foundation.

Advice to Management

Please, please keep doing what you're doing! Yes, it is always easy to criticize senior leadership from the outside, but we are very lucky to have the team we have...

2. "Leadership needs to be more thoughtful"

I have been working at Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, smart and dedicated staff for the most part.

Cons

Moves are not thought out, promotions are made without thought as to whether it makes sense

Advice to Management

If you are really interested in improving the culture and engagement, think of your actions as a whole on the foundation, not just to please you cronies.