Gordon and Schwenkmeyer - Sweat shop masquerading as a progressive company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gordon and Schwenkmeyer

"Sweat shop masquerading as a progressive company"

Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Gordon and Schwenkmeyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time hours
Ability to help out charities and political campaigns

Cons

Extremely low pay. Pay starts at 8 dollars an hour. Even employees who have worked there for decades only make 14 dollars an hour. A truly progressive company, that raises money for the Democratic Party, should pay a living wage. Shameful.
Sweat shop-like work environment. The list of rules would fill a phone book. Most are heavy handed while at the same time being nit picky. The most recent: locking the break room so that water is not accessible except during two breaks and lunch. We are people who talk all day for a living. We need unlimited access to water. Ironically, we raise money for the United Farm Workers which is demanding that its workers get access to water at least once an hour.
Constantly written up, warned, and reminded of rules. There is little or no positive reinforcement. This is a sign of poor management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Loosen up on your ridiculous rules. PAY A LIVING WAGE!!

Other Employee Reviews for Gordon and Schwenkmeyer

Pros

Very good! Excellent training and direct contact with their clients.

Cons

There work rules are heavy-handed. I was fortunate that I was also a p/t professor at a local community college.

Advice to Management

If you are going to recruit those at risk or new to the work force, you need to extend your probation period.

2. "A good position for some types of people"

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser (Glorified Telemarketer) in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Gordon and Schwenkmeyer full-time

Pros

Working with really laid-back people and being able to raise money for multiple democratic organizations and political candidates. Here at the Sacramento office the supervisors are very committed to the causes and will work with you as long as you put in effort. After training period, you receive 12 an hour.

Cons

One needs thick skin to be successful at this organization. You are required to ask every potential donor multiple times for a donation- basically hoping they don't hang-up on you as you get through you spiel. Rinse and repeat this dozens of times an hour, 8 hours a day. One must look past all manner of excuses from "Retired/ No income" to "Take me off the list" and still try to get at least one 'Dollar Ask'- some people have worked there for years and are quite adept at powering through. They also have a huge turn-over rate.
    If you are under-performing, they ask you to leave early- which for someone who needs a full-time position in undesirable.
    Someone I worked with made about 3-4 hundred by half-day and was still required to leave an hour and a half early.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with potential employees about the nature of the job- primarily the necessity of "3 dollar asks, every call- every time" and the criteria that allows one to be sent home early- it would save time on behalf of both parties.