Gothic Landscape - If you don't mind getting a divorce, living at work and debauchery on an unprecedented scale... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gothic Landscape

"If you don't mind getting a divorce, living at work and debauchery on an unprecedented scale..."

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The CEO, Mike Georgio is a likable guy. He acts friendly and caring; I think he really does care about people deep down inside. He is one of the reasons I stayed as long as I did. I liked him.

Cons

Key point learned - The ability to manipulate people is more valuable than landscape knowledge at Gothic.
Regarding leadership taking over for Mike Georgio... Jon Georgio appears to be full of himself, sometimes arrogant, also can be manipulative in employee negotiations and does it all with a smile on his face. He's like the silver spoon in his mouth youngest child with a sense of entitlement who is taking over a multi-generational accomplishment built on blood-sweat and tears, which he will summarily run into the ground in spite of his MBA (or perhaps because of it.)

Advice to Management

You may be beaten into oblivion by Valleycrest because they know about the importance of field knowledge. Rewarding "used car salesmen" behavior and neglecting field knowledge hurts those who dedicated their lives to achieving it. You make enemies of soon-to-be ex-employees where you don't have to. It then becomes their mission in life to see you fail because of this. The creation of this phenomenon is your own doing and unnecessary.

Quit the open display of morally debased behavior and lifestyle at the highest levels.

Other Employee Reviews for Gothic Landscape

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Great company to work for at the Phoenix Branch. You definitely get out of it what you put into it. Hard work and positive attitude can be rewarded. I enjoyed my time there and wish I had never left.

Cons

Long hours at times but you felt appreciated.

2. "Challenging, professional, customer focused organization."

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Gothic Landscape full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly ethical (in spite of a previous review), solution oriented construction and maintenance contractor. Clear expectations, performance based rewards, and seasoned management and consistent leadership. Customer defined service levels are enhanced by extensive trade and field knowledge throughout the staff. Conservative growth has led to solid financial performance.

Cons

Conservative growth goals limits staff promotion opportunities. Severe downturn from 2008 to 2012 led to loss of many highly skilled employees.

Advice to Management

Empower and trust your managers. Continue to reward performance generously. Consider more aggressive growth in next decade.