Gracenote - Five Years Under SONY Ownership's Benign Neglect Created Complacency At Gracenote | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gracenote

"Five Years Under SONY Ownership's Benign Neglect Created Complacency At Gracenote"

Current Contractor - IT PMO in Emeryville, CA
Current Contractor - IT PMO in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really talented people...many with a passion for music...

Cons

This is first and foremost a metadata management and syndication firm. After 5 years with SONY, Tribune purchased the company at a fire sale price. People here are very clique-oriented and keep to their own group. I think they're waiting for the post-merger layoffs.

Advice to Management

Encourage more collaboration between working groups. Require accountability from IT to avoid one catastrophic failure after another with the Tribune parent groups.

Other Employee Reviews for Gracenote

"Unless you're a mind reader..."

I worked at Gracenote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gracenote offered great benefits, fair salary structures, but was challenged with keeping satellite employees looped in effectively. As I've read on other reviews, let me echo that this is a good stepping stone for your career, but not a true 'home.'

Cons

You'll need a copy of MANAGING UP by Roger Gittines, unless you're a certified mind-reader. A good manager knows how to nurture, delegate and build a healthy working rapport with subordinates. Such was not the case for me.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about big-picture objectives

"Don't expect a promotion but do expect a great place to start a career before moving on to something else."

I worked at Gracenote (More than 5 years)

Pros

The topic of entertainment and technology runs strong amongst the culture. If you're music or film nerd, you will be pleased to find others like you. Stable company offering solid work / life balance. Flexible hours. Health insurance. Stocked kitchen.

The engineers that work here are some of the most talented that I've worked with. The hackathons are always fun.

Cons

Having worked here for a long time, I've seen the company change for the better but it falls short with opportunities for professional growth and horrible politics. Engineering practices for some of the more high profile projects are really frustrating to take part of due to lack of process and disconnect between management vision and certain engineering groups. Many times, ownership isn't effectively communicated or expectations around what priorities should be produced is lacking across many teams.

There's also a huge communication divide between groups, especially content and other engineering groups. I'm not sure why it was the case but everyone in content seems really unhappy and less likely to socialize with other members of the company.

To get promoted, I've only seen people who greatly sacrifice their personal life on top of going way beyond expectation to the point of alienating their peers. I've also seen people who are way very talented, capable, and possess great leadership abilities get passed up. This has promoted a culture of elitism in some groups that I haven't really seen at other companies.

Advice to Management

There are plenty of projects that are contracted out because the resources available internally are either unknown or difficult to work with because of the fear of bureaucratic process. There are resources who could meet internal needs if they knew there was an opportunity to help.

Promote your workers at a reasonable pace, or they will leave. Many talented engineers that I've worked with that have left Gracenote, are now a director or higher at other companies. You guys attract good talent. Offer opportunities for professional growth. When someone shows initiative to learn new technology, ideas, encourage it.