Grand Canyon University - employee | Glassdoor

"employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay ok for not having a degree, good benefits, school is growing so could lead to other opportunities

Cons

bad upper management, no consistency among other counselors, bad students who dont care about school and get money and leave

Advice to Management

get new management

Other Employee Reviews for Grand Canyon University

"Excellent University/Company to work for"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, compensation is very good for the job and has increased steadily over the past few years, absolutely excellent benefits (free tuition assistance, large amount of PTO/sick days, I literally pay about $15/paycheck for health benefits HSA/High Deductible plan, 401k matching). I love the fact that I don't take anything home with me, when I clock out I'm done! The education people are getting really will help them go to new levels in life. The vision and mission of GCU is excellent. GCU is growing rapidly in a time when its competitors are tanking. We're starting to gain a national reputation as a highly credible university while being 'For Profit' which is really excellent in my view. (Solid, affordable, private education in high-need areas; low default rates on student loans, profits for investors, and high levels of taxes paid to local, state, and federal governments while state universities are a drain on tax dollars.)

Cons

Every job will rise or fall with management. If you have a good manager, you will have a great experience and the opposite with a bad manager. The job can be very stressful at times because it is sales/customer service all rolled into one but it has great payoffs if you can really connect with the students and your co-workers. Because of the need to grow so quickly some employees are not only not in line with the Vision and Mission of the organization but are antagonistic about it.

Advice to Management

Foster a friendly/fun environment rather than focusing only on business. Be intentional about developing employees interested in moving up and provide more training. Consistency is key - as a lower level employee we want to not only feel as though we're a valuable part of the team (we do) but we also want to feel like we have job security and potential to develop/move up.

2. "Overall, I good experience"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, GCU is a good company to work for. The free tuition benefit was the primary reason that I worked there. Great job if you are going to school and do not have plans to build a career there. Good benefits.

Cons

I had problems with the fact that it is difficult to move up. Also, the hard workers got paid the same as those who were not as diligent. No fairness in the evaluation process. You get written up for issues unrelated to the requirements of the job.

Advice to Management

Find some way to increase salary faster based on performance and enrollment numbers.