Grand Canyon University - It's fine for now | Glassdoor

"It's fine for now"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The tuition is free and for a school with an online program, it's actually really competitive compared to other schools with online programs. The systems are better and more user friendly, there are full time teachers, and the programs are legit making it easy to talk to students without feeling scummy like I would if I worked at UOP.

Cons

Everything is about who you know so if you want a promotion, you better already be friend with whoever is making the decision and you will know if you got the job before you even applied.

Advice to Management

There's different advice to different management... cause they all do differen things... I guess figure out a way to treat everyone fairly and be consistent so that a person's career success isn't based on the luck of the draw as to who they got as a manager.

Other Employee Reviews for Grand Canyon University

"Taking advantage of low income poeple to get federal financial aid"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benifits, they will pay for your entire Bachelor degree or Master degree and a portion of your docterate. The negitive out-weigh the positives to me.

Cons

FYI... this is a sales position...The main issue that I have with GCU is their lack of support from management and the horribly negative work environment. This school, along with any other school that’s main focus are their online program (for-profit universities), whole goal is to take advantage of undereducated, low income people and use their goals and emotions against them to guilt them into going to school.

They also boast this whole Christian University thing, but really, they only use to that convince the poor people that believe in God that giving them money is somehting nobel. The enviornment is anyhting but a Christian enviornment and the morals of the university and what they make their employees do is far from Christian.

Advice to Management

Learn your jobs, learn your employees jobs, dont hire team managers that dont know anyhting about this job, hire within the company, dont be so eager to fire people for low preformance.

"Excellent University/Company to work for"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, compensation is very good for the job and has increased steadily over the past few years, absolutely excellent benefits (free tuition assistance, large amount of PTO/sick days, I literally pay about $15/paycheck for health benefits HSA/High Deductible plan, 401k matching). I love the fact that I don't take anything home with me, when I clock out I'm done! The education people are getting really will help them go to new levels in life. The vision and mission of GCU is excellent. GCU is growing rapidly in a time when its competitors are tanking. We're starting to gain a national reputation as a highly credible university while being 'For Profit' which is really excellent in my view. (Solid, affordable, private education in high-need areas; low default rates on student loans, profits for investors, and high levels of taxes paid to local, state, and federal governments while state universities are a drain on tax dollars.)

Cons

Every job will rise or fall with management. If you have a good manager, you will have a great experience and the opposite with a bad manager. The job can be very stressful at times because it is sales/customer service all rolled into one but it has great payoffs if you can really connect with the students and your co-workers. Because of the need to grow so quickly some employees are not only not in line with the Vision and Mission of the organization but are antagonistic about it.

Advice to Management

Foster a friendly/fun environment rather than focusing only on business. Be intentional about developing employees interested in moving up and provide more training. Consistency is key - as a lower level employee we want to not only feel as though we're a valuable part of the team (we do) but we also want to feel like we have job security and potential to develop/move up.