Grand Canyon University - Awesome Experience! | Glassdoor

"Awesome Experience!"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Phoenix, AZ
Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Students and staff are polite, respectful, and caring. Whole atmosphere is positive and very little stress. Hybrid approach (coursework on computer but students attend class) is very nice and makes teaching easier. The curriculum was already set up for me, which was nice, but I was encouraged to add my own information to it, which was even nicer. Had complete freedom to teach in any manner I chose within the framework I was given. LOTS of professional development opportunities. Collaborative environment. The absolute best students and the best teaching job I have EVER had.

Cons

Most instructors are adjunct so there is very little opportunity to work full time.

Advice to Management

Provide more full time, permanent opportunities for the better adjunct faculty members. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Grand Canyon University

"Not very professional"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University (Less than a year)

Pros

The students as a whole were very motivated. There online format was not user friendly.

Cons

I came as a fairly new adjunct. The mentor assigned to me was disrespectful and not pleasant to work with. The pay is low; poor mentoring; communication poor; feedback poor. The culture was negative.

Advice to Management

Improve mentoring

"Current employee- Enrollement - Online College of Theology. nothing but a sales job"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

many, many company perks. plenty of PTO- they will give you "lopes time off"/paid time - to go to the campus and support the sports teams. the give out alot of freebies to their employees and generally (company-speaking) try to make their employees happy

Cons

the enrollment is 100% a sales job. it is not about doing what is best for the student or seeing if their program is a good fit for what the student wants to do. I have worked at a few different online colleges and have never felt so much pressure to "enroll" to meet my monthly quota. keep in mind, I am about to be walked out for not meeting my monthly "expectations" for enrollment numbers - so my view is pretty negative right now. I am a single mother of a young child and really hate being thrown into the unemployment line again. I did all that I could do to speak to as many people as possible. I have had the highest number of dials and talk time for months- but I refuse to force somebody into a school debt that they are not yet prepared for. I requested to switch to a different division where I have more experience in, and was denied. I requested to have additional training in my college I enroll for to help me to see the benefits of this specific degree- and was denied. I have done everything on my part to be successful- other than lying to get a student to start ASAP to meet "my numbers". I transfer at least 3-6 people a week to College of business, Education, or healthcare because those programs would be a better fit for the student's goals- but I get no credit for those students because I can ONLY enroll for College of Theology

Advice to Management

I feel as though I was lied to. I was hired on with the understanding that you put your people and your students first. I was told in training that it was OK to say no- and that we are supposed to give 100% clarity during our enrollment process- to be "transparent" with our students. I have done this- they have made the decision that Christian studies was not for them- and I am being punished for it. I don't feel that is right.