1. "Marketing Department"

5.0
    Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Grand Rapids Symphony

Pros

Collaborative team environment, creative, hard working

Cons

Overall an amazing employer, no cons

Other Employee Reviews

"There are high expectations for job performance and kudos for a job well done at this friendly organization."

5.0
     in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Grand Rapids Symphony

Pros

A face-paced work flow with shifting priorities challenge the individual who works in the office. There is so much to do, time and deadlines are never long enough, yet the projects get done and in the end, beautiful music to appreciate. There is a great bunch of dedicated people in this place!

Cons

They should consider hiring a few more people to alleviate the pressure on the diligent people they have there.

2. "Worst internship of my entire life"

1.0
    Former Intern - Intern in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Grand Rapids Symphony for less than a year

Pros

-Looks great on a resume -People from other departments quietly sympathized about how condescending the boss was and were encouraging to me about my future.

Cons

-Boss had never had an intern before; commanded me to do secretary-like tasks on a daily basis. Didn't trust me with much beyond moving posters and doing errands that he didn't want to do. -Staff were constantly leaving the department I worked in and I was forced to fill in the gaps they left. I was reprimanded daily for not doing the vacant person's job well enough, even though I was a minimally compensated intern, and was untrained. -I was given no written contract or outline of duties or hours, and this was used against me when I began another part-time job. -When I requested a change in department and/or duties to gain experience (the point of an internship), I was denied this request several times (no matter how politely or aggressively I asked) on the basis that I wasn't doing my free labor "well enough yet." -Boss constantly questioned my goal to pursue a master's degree in the field (he did not have one himself) after the internship. -Other staff complained about the boss to me, on a regular basis. -Boss yelled at staff members and musicians in his office and the entire office could hear it.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Grand Rapids Symphony.