Granite - Wind Turbine Commissioner That's Not Advancing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Granite

"Wind Turbine Commissioner That's Not Advancing"

Current Contractor - Field Comissioner
Current Contractor - Field Comissioner

I have been working at Granite as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Good Benefits, Great Building block

Cons

Only a job not a career and management will prevent you from crossing into other fields.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to grow otherwise they'll leave and you'll have lost experience that you've help build. GE Training cost money.

Other Employee Reviews for Granite

1. "Started great, ended terrible"

I worked at Granite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) The benefits and pay are competitive with other companies in the market, and they're owned by General Electric-- still my client today, but under a different contract house.
    2) The merit pay increases are of a reasonable amount, even during the recession.

Cons

The company was originally configured to contract field engineers and shop floor workers. When they attempted to take on the responsibility of contracting technical personnel (database administrators, programmers, etc), they were out of their league, but couldn't admit it. The result was that management tried to treat office workers as if we were blue-collar, with all that that entails; supervision was far too tight, with no opportunity to seek new methods of solving problems. At several points, they even pulled the history on our building access card swipes. That wouldn't have been so bad, if the office arrangement at the time hadn't meant having to swipe just to return from using the bathroom (not the fault of Granite, but of the extremely full workspace we were in, which necessitated seating us in temporary cubicles in an auditorium).
    Several of my co-workers left the company in disgust, in large part because the responsibilities they were told they would have when hired had nothing to do with the tasks with which they were actually given.
    The company does not offer COLA pay increases.
    Lastly, the review schedule we were each told about when hired (14-month cycles) was never actually followed. It wasn't unusual to go two years without a review.

Advice to Management

Focus on a few core disciplines, as Granite did when it started. Leave other professional categories to companies better suited to handle them. Control employee turn-over by making it more worthwhile emotionally, to work for Granite. When you offer 14-month review periods at the time of hire, stick to that schedule.

2. "Glad to be a part of the team"

Current Employee - Senior, Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior, Recruiter

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Granite Services is a 100% GE owned Affiliate Company that supports the installation, maintenance, and repairs of GE industrial equipment. Granite offers a wide variety of opportunities that range from construction to project management, and field service to administrative positions supporting anywhere from 6 to 10 other divisions of GE industrial equipment. There are plenty of opportunities for self-starters with a positive attitude. I am fortunate and very happy to be working for a world class organization like Granite Services International, Inc.

Cons

No company does everything perfect and GSI is no different. Way more pros than cons and that makes it worth working