Granite - Good starting point | Glassdoor

"Good starting point"

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of paid down time during the summer and winter months. Good place to start for new graduates as well as former military personnel. GE is quite accessible for other opportunities from within. Pay is okay, lots of overtime. Benefits are solid, a tad expensive though.

Cons

A lot of time away from home for field employees. Bureaucracy gets in the way sometimes, can be rather frustrating.

Other Employee Reviews for Granite

"Wind Turbine Commissioner That's Not Advancing"

Current Contractor - Field Comissioner
    Current Contractor - Field Comissioner

I have been working at Granite as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Good Benefits, Great Building block

Cons

Only a job not a career and management will prevent you from crossing into other fields.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to grow otherwise they'll leave and you'll have lost experience that you've help build. GE Training cost money.

2. "Started great, ended terrible"

I worked at Granite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) The benefits and pay are competitive with other companies in the market, and they're owned by General Electric-- still my client today, but under a different contract house.
    2) The merit pay increases are of a reasonable amount, even during the recession.

Cons

The company was originally configured to contract field engineers and shop floor workers. When they attempted to take on the responsibility of contracting technical personnel (database administrators, programmers, etc), they were out of their league, but couldn't admit it. The result was that management tried to treat office workers as if we were blue-collar, with all that that entails; supervision was far too tight, with no opportunity to seek new methods of solving problems. At several points, they even pulled the history on our building access card swipes. That wouldn't have been so bad, if the office arrangement at the time hadn't meant having to swipe just to return from using the bathroom (not the fault of Granite, but of the extremely full workspace we were in, which necessitated seating us in temporary cubicles in an auditorium).
    Several of my co-workers left the company in disgust, in large part because the responsibilities they were told they would have when hired had nothing to do with the tasks with which they were actually given.
    The company does not offer COLA pay increases.
    Lastly, the review schedule we were each told about when hired (14-month cycles) was never actually followed. It wasn't unusual to go two years without a review.

Advice to Management

Focus on a few core disciplines, as Granite did when it started. Leave other professional categories to companies better suited to handle them. Control employee turn-over by making it more worthwhile emotionally, to work for Granite. When you offer 14-month review periods at the time of hire, stick to that schedule.