Graphic Packaging International - Satisfied retiree | Glassdoor

"Satisfied retiree"

Former Employee - Maintenance Specialist in Golden, CO
Former Employee - Maintenance Specialist in Golden, CO

I worked at Graphic Packaging International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benifits and above average pay. I spent 36 years working for them and felt very secure for myself and my family. They spend alot of time and money on training to keep the highest quality employees.

Cons

Unfortunatly, like most large companies, they got too big too fast. They lost sight of the importance of balancing the quality of work life and quality of home life.

Advice to Management

Bring back the atmosphere of being a working family and not managment against the hourly employee.

Other Employee Reviews for Graphic Packaging International

"A company that spends so much money to improve culture.....just doesn't get it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I worked at Graphic Packaging International full-time

Pros

- Stable industry
    = Good people to work with in the manufacturing plants
    = Career flexibility within a large organization

Cons

- Wasted investment in culture improvement - identifying root causes of poor culture should be free if you pay attention to employee feedback and trends in turnover. Talking to some ex=peers, company has begun utilizing a 3rd party exit interviewer to collect feedback from employees leaving the company. I have heard of a couple of people leaving this year that were never interviewed....hmmmmm....sounds like 'selective exit interviewing'. Not a good culture statement.
    - Wrong people in leadership roles - subject expertise is optional and tends to get in the way of political ambitions. Heard one senior manager claim 'I've made a career out of getting others to do my job for me.' And one should ask....is that leadership, laziness or just ignorance? P.S. favortism does win over performance on many occasions.
    - Company acts more like the GE of packaging - touting how they move their money around by refinancing, senior notes, etc. - they provide too little focus and visibility on manufacturing performance.
    - Instead of recognizing available capacity due to their publicized 'continuous improvement strategy', they throw capital at new equipment - poor leadership and resource awareness.

Advice to Management

Reverse the cons.

"Ok place to work if you don't mind overtime on a weekly to biweekly basis!"

Current Employee - Pressman in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Pressman in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Graphic Packaging International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, challenging both physically and mentally !

Cons

Went through expansion and hasn't fully developed yet!! Lots of room for improvements, but seems everyone is to busy chasing after the ball to do anything about improving the plant. Swing shifts are a killer!!

Advice to Management

Communication is key! Need to staff the engineering dept. a bit more to level out machinery, and also work with scheduling for less scheduled downtime.