Gray Television - Disappointing for those that dream of working in TV | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gray Television

"Disappointing for those that dream of working in TV"

Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Charlottesville, VA
Former Employee - Master Control Operator in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

When one actually does a good job, your peers and co-workers acknowledge it and are appreciative of the work being done.

Cons

Good work is ignored from supervisors and above, internal promotion is nearly impossible, long term growth does not exist as mid level employees are stagnant with no interest in self growth nor helping lower level employees to grow in other arenas.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the annual reviews from the people at the bottom more than the people in the middle. Honesty was given from "entry level" workers who have been at the location for 2+ years.

Other Employee Reviews for Gray Television

1. "Fun work, terrible pay"

Former Employee - Production in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Production in Lincoln, NE

Pros

The television industry by nature is a fun industry to work in. It's a fast-paced environment and you learn a lot in a small amount of time. Your co-workers know what they're doing and it's a great team environment. Gray has high standards for their stations, and that definitely helps you in the long run, especially if you don't plan on working there the rest of your life. It's a good place to learn the ropes.

Cons

You get paid horrendously for the work you do and the hours you put in. I worked on the morning broadcast for a while, which meant getting in by 4 a.m. every day. For that I got paid under seven an hour. You better have another job, savings or generous parents before you take a job with Gray. Many of my co-workers, as well as myself, had a second job to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.

2. "It's a great place to work, if you are willing to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

The senior management is by far the best I've ever worked with, they actually care about their employees. From the president on down, all are very approachable. Benefits aren't bad, full medical and dental, a 401(k) plan and an employee stock purchase program. Unlike a lot of companies, this is one you can see yourself retiring with, no matter where you are in your career.

Cons

Money, or lack of it, always seems to be an issue in the company, at all divisions. Projects tend to be shot down under the premise "there just isn't enough money to do this," or "the ROI isn't high enough for us." Same applies for hiring additional staff. It's not uncommon that an employee is doing the work of two or more. This is really a company where you need to be resourceful.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, if we feel that you have our backs, we'll have yours.