Great Clips - A place to start at but not to stay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

"A place to start at but not to stay"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Houston, TX

Pros

Clientele is already there, they train well

Cons

The pay is minimum wage which is disturbing after getting licensed in the profession but making McDonald's type pay. The manager is apparently all knowing and can't do wrong. Coworkers treat you like they have seniority and your their b****

Advice to Management

Treat everybody the same and quit playing favoritism. Make sure consequences are given to all not just the people who aren't liked. Haircut times are stupid people should get to interact with their client without feeling rushed.

Other Employee Reviews for Great Clips

1. "I LOVE my job!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Moline, IL

Pros

It's a walk-in salon so you don't have to have a large client base to stay busy. We service over 900 customers per week. Our franchisee compensates our pay and bonuses very well. He also offer health, dental, life insurance, and paid holidays and vacation time. Great Clips is an amazing company and they have a great focus!

Cons

If you don't like being busy then Great Clips is not the place for you. Also because of their concept of scheduling for the customer most stylists are required to work 1-2 night shifts per week. However, this is usually normal for most franchised salons.

"Treated as disposable labor"

Former Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Valencia, CA

Pros

Flexible hours,easy parking at this Valencia,ca location. Lot's of walk in's.

Cons

Help wanted banner said,Paid vacations (never,what a joke) Health benefits (I can't stop laughing) Here is the deal..You are paid $9.00 an hour, people tip you $2-$5 a haircut ,$5 if your lucky. The Owner said "It's $9.00 an hour but we all know your not here for the hourly,your here for the tips". You will never work 40 hours or more. The most they will give you is 39.5 hours. If you actually worked 40 hours , then you would qualify for health benefits etc. And they don't do that in this company. They run it like a Walmart. Hire part timers ,that way you dont get raises,health benefits etc. My fellow employees had worked there 2-3 years and never even got a 45 cent raise ! Pathetic. If you actually did work 40+ hours, management will tell you to take minutes and sometimes hours off your pay/work check in. She will put doubt into you like" I think you only took a 45 minute lunch on that day" or you clocked in in correctly"...

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and not always management. Hire a Friday night and weekend receptionist. You lose so many people who walk out because they wait too long or were not properly submitted into the computer as the next customer. Stopping a haircut to check people in when it's busy loses you money and we lose tips.