Great Oaks Charter Schools - The Tutor Corps Fellowship is a great opportunity for recent college grads looking to get into education. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Great Oaks Charter Schools

"The Tutor Corps Fellowship is a great opportunity for recent college grads looking to get into education."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Great Oaks Charter Schools (More than a year)

Pros

I found that the school was very open to feedback and that you could implement virtually any type of programming within reason. Made me feel like I was bigger than a cog in the machine.

Cons

A very strict, rigid approach to education and discipline, which doesn't necessarily cater to the specific needs and personalities of individual students.

Other Employee Reviews for Great Oaks Charter Schools

"Current Tutor Corps Member"

Current Employee - Urban Education Fellow in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Urban Education Fellow in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Great Oaks Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As others have said, being a member of the tutor corps you will have the opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and experience both challenges and triumphs. Great Oaks will provide you with housing in a very nice high rise in downtown Newark, however, you will have to share a room with one other person. Working one on one with five students all year has given me the ability to understand that each student is different and you have to be versatile in the way you approach subjects, I fell that this has been both a challenge and a triumph. Another pro is the closeness of the tutor corps. It's been great being able to meet new people and have a large group to share experiences with.

Cons

Although you know going into this job that the stipend isn't that great and the hours are long, the administration isn't clear on the extent of your workload. Teachers rarely grade their own assignments leaving teaching assistants to grade almost every homework assignment, quiz, and test. Enrichment is not respected and is just a way to kill an hour at the end of the day while detention is being held. Administration preaches "transparency" but keeps things from their staff until rumors are started and they want to end them. Tutors are often talked to and evaluated in the same manner as the students, which causes low morale.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your staff. When you advocate transparency in the workplace and fail to practice what you preach your staff begins not to trust you. Also, hold teachers more accountable for what's going on in their classrooms. It is a bit unfair that teaching assistants spend hours grading work when they tutor four hours a day and the teachers only teach for three. Treat the tutor corps with more respect because they are, after all, the majority of your staff.

"Life-Changing"

Current Employee - Tutor Corps Member in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Tutor Corps Member in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Great Oaks Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forces you to step out of your comfort zone and confront your weaknesses, allows you to build deep relationships with a wide variety of students, teaches you HOW to build positive relationships, gives you a crash-course in education politics and urban education, provides a supportive and tight-knit group of peers (the Tutor Corps) to laugh, learn, and cry with, gives you something powerful to add to your resume, allows you to build professional skills in a variety of areas that go beyond education, and (honestly) supplies a sufficient stipend + gorgeous housing.

Cons

Administration expects a lot from you, and some days you can handle it, and other days you just can't. The neighborhood is sketchy and you can't safely walk alone. The early mornings can be a drag, but you get used to it. Some students can be mouthy and push you to insanity, and you have to figure out how to get on their good side, which can take months of trial and error. Administration will often leave you in the dark about student issues which may directly affect you, your tutorial, or your relationship with the student, which can be frustrating. Tutors are scored on an elaborate rubric system which makes it close to impossible to succeed, even for the strongest employees.

Advice to Management

Keep holding your staff to high standards...but let us know when we're meeting them, and not just when we're not. Do not preach "transparency" unless you actually follow through; the amount of secrets held from the Tutor Corps only make us feel increasingly disrespected. Find a way to evaluate tutors and hold them accountable without grading them like one of your students.