Greater Boston Food Bank - Its amazing they could make such a wonderful mission such a miserable experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Greater Boston Food Bank

"Its amazing they could make such a wonderful mission such a miserable experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The majority of staff at the GBFB are smart, hard-working and dedicated individuals who were attracted to the mission of helping to alleviate hunger in Eastern Mass.

Parking.

Cons

The work culture is oppressive and punitive. I witnessed staff being berated in front of their peers, or treated in a condescending and unprofessional manner, by senior staff. As mistakes cannot be tolerated, a culture of finger-pointing exists that rarely corrects the situation but, rather, perpetuates it. The GBFB will expect staff to give extra hours to their events but shows no willingness to provide its staff with a work-life balance.

What is most concerning and deflating to staff moral is the high rate of turnover in staff. Either the work environment is causing people to say "enough" or the GBFB is really bad at hiring. I think its the former.

The GBFB needs to ask itself "what would we do differently if we had competition?" The answer would be "a lot." Yes, it has a beautiful new building but the culture inside is miserable.

Advice to Management

Recognize how talented and smart your staff is -- and not just some sound-bite in a speech at an annual event. That's pretty rings hollow. There needs to be a focus on providing a culture of creativity, ideas and input from all levels of staff, not just edicts sent down from the top. People come to the GBFB because they want to be part of their incredible mission. They leave because the mission is lost in the oppressive culture that "leadership" seems willing to let go unaddressed.

Other Employee Reviews for Greater Boston Food Bank

"Knowing We are making a difference"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Working here brings so much joy and fulfillment in my life. Everyday as I pull up, I watch our trucks filled with food go out on their daily routes. Having had to get help for food and shelter for me and my family when times got tough, I know how food, water, shelter, health and peace are really the only fundamental things in life that matter. The rest is just an added bonus.

I have never worked with such a dedicated team who not only get the job done, but constantly try to improve and feed more people. The team is competent, professional and extremely well qualified. No matter how hard I work, it isn't an issue, because everyone I am working with is doing the same thing.

Cons

We are a non-profit in the true sense of the word. Our goal is to "End Hunger Here." With that in mind, salaries, although competitive, are in no way as high as you could earn. Benefits are improving and senior management is constantly looking to add to benefits, knowing it is a key element in retaining our dedicated staff.

Advice to Management

More workers to do the work.
    Time is money, If you can't raise salaries, be more flexible with time off for the team. I believe dedicated workers are also passionate about other projects. Offer the time to let these passionate workers pursue their dreams.

2. "The worst working experience in my career"

Pros

The only pro I can think of about working there is to help the less fortunate. That's about it. Other than that, the working environment and dealing with the SLT members is "painful ".

Cons

It is amazing for supposedly SLT members to NOT be on the same page in running this organization. It is absolutely embarrassing with how they interact with each other , be-little each other in front of other staff members. Everyone sees it and it is so uncomfortable. And you call this Leadership ! Nuff said. .......