Employee Review

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Experience and Prep for Business School

Aug 6, 2015 - Analyst in Providence, RI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Short projects (3-4 weeks for PE/hedge fund projects and 5-6 for corporate strategy work) so you are constantly learning about new businesses and industries. These learning experiences gave me great material for my business school applications. You work with a smart people at Greenwich Strategy (both coworkers and clients). All external and internal conversations are stimulating and thought provoking. You will learn a ton! And it will help you significantly with business school applications (Ross Class of 2017).

Cons

The work/life balance can be demanding during the week. Coming from a cushy 9 to 5, there was some culture shock when I was staying late wrapping up my first project. Some of Greenwich's clients are demanding so you must work with tight deadlines that force long hours.

4 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Excellent Learning Experience for the Intellectually Curious

Apr 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Work: The quality of work Greenwich Strategy produces is exceptional by any measure. The firm has built a very strong reputation over the last ~20 years for this exact reason. As a result, the firm rarely (if ever) pitches to clients, meaning that employees get to devote 100% of their time to creating meaningful work on active engagements. Projects typically last ~4 weeks for private equity and hedge fund clients, with corporate client timelines being more varied. As a result, the work itself is very fast-paced, and every analyst and consultant plays an active role throughout the project lifecycle. The Culture: Greenwich Strategy manages to create a unique work-life balance for its employees. With projects lasting an average of ~4 weeks, there is pressure on every employee to make meaningful contributions every single day. This creates a degree of intensity most people haven’t experienced professionally. While the work is intense, Greenwich Strategy has some extremely employee-friendly business practices. Most importantly (in my opinion) is the lack of work on weekends. The degree to which weekends are protected is unique among similarly demanding positions (consulting, ibanking, PE, tech). Whatever comes next for me, I am going to greatly miss Greenwich Strategy’s weekend policy, as well as “Greenwich Strategy Holidays”. Career Progression: Greenwich Strategy has played an extremely important role in my professional development. Any driven person is going to greatly improve their skill-set while working at this firm. Partner-level involvement in every aspect of a project means that you are constantly being challenged to push your abilities further. The environment is extremely collaborative and case team meetings always bring a diverse set of viewpoints (for example, when I first joined, the analysts I worked with came from investment banking, consulting, engineering and a F500 leadership program). Prior to joining GS, I spent a lot of time in meetings with various investors, consultants, investment bankers and industry executives, and I continue to be impressed with the high-level thinking that goes on in Greenwich Strategy meetings. People go in a lot of different directions after leaving Greenwich Strategy, but the majority of analysts go to business school. The partners are extremely supportive and helpful once employees decide what they want to do next. Pay: Without going into too much detail…the pay is really solid and everyone I’ve ever spoken to has expressed satisfaction with their compensation.

Cons

Providence: Living in (or very close to) Providence is definitely something I recommend to anyone joining the firm. The commute to Providence from Boston is about 45 minutes, which would be rough when we are busy on projects. I personally chose to live in Providence, and really enjoyed the city. It is on the smaller side and could be an adjustment for people moving from a major city, but it also has a much lower cost of living than places like Boston, and has plenty of fun things to do.

4 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

An Awesome Consulting Firm

Aug 1, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very intelligent people working on very important topics, for very smart, successful clients. Firm leadership chooses to keep small size in order to make sure we only work on high impact projects. We can afford to be selective. Little to no travel—that’s another advantage of staying small. Intimate, caring culture. Family like. It’s not unusual for someone to bring their dog to work. (Firm policy requests employees don’t talk publicly about size, but over the years we’ve had to count the dog form time to time to get the headcount to double digits.) No face time. If we’re not working on a project/if there’s not a good reason to be in the office, we’re not, and the president is the first one to say we should take days off between projects. Truly flat organization. The most junior analyst can and does have as much impact as most senior team member. Everyone goes to every client meeting (it’s not like the partner shows the team’s work to the client). Analysts get into great B Schools, because they can write about serious responsibilities. If you’re analytically minded, good at excel modeling and research, and a team player, this is an uncommonly good consulting firm to work at. An all-around awesome consulting firm.

Cons

Can be intense—especially if multiple high intensity/high profile projects happen at once. But that’s consulting. Small size not right for everyone. Not possible to get lost in the shuffle/keep a low profile if you’re not up to the task. The recruiting process tries to sort out whether the fit is right, but it’s no perfect. That said, to my knowledge no one has ever been fired; that would be hugely counter-cultural.

3 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Greenwich Strategy.