"“Challenging, Stimulating and Worth It”"

I worked at Greenwich Strategy full-time

Pros

Note: I was a Consultant at Greenwich Strategy for 5+ years -Exposure to A-list clients: At first, I didn't believe that a firm located in Providence, RI, in a minimal frills office space, with an ultra casual dress code could have the clients that were touted. But they do. For those who follow the private equity or hedge fund industry, you will quickly recognize past and current clients. And before you know it, you'll be presenting in front of the some of the smartest investors in the country -Intellectually challenging projects: I guarantee you'll work on projects unlike you've ever encountered, across all different industries. For example, forecasting lean hog prices (based on ongoing events in China) to one of the largest hedge funds in the world. -Fortifying your overall skill set: Working at a small firm doesn't allow you the luxury of being a specialist. You need to be good at everything. Whether it's cold calling auto dealers, finding and interpreting foreign government data or performing under pressure, you will be tested. Although frustrating at times, you'll be a hardened pro soon enough. And that will serve you well in any business environment.

Cons

-Lack of weeknight social life: Like all consulting firms, you can expect to be working long hours when projects are in full swing. Don’t expect much of a social life Monday through Thursday. Thankfully, working weekends are rare. If you’re expecting to be home in time to watch Sportscenter or reruns of Seinfeld, neither consulting nor Greenwich Strategy is for you. -Providence: It is what it is—a minor league city. It has a very artsy vibe which doesn’t do it for me. In the instances when you can grab a drink after work, the pickings are slim. Overall a great experience that will prepare you for any future professional endeavors you may have. I normally don't rate anything 5 stars because I'm super critical and don't believe anything is perfect. Greenwich Strategy is no exception. But giving them 4 stars ("satisfied") would be selling the firm short.

Other Employee Reviews

"Excellent Learning Experience for the Intellectually Curious"

I worked at Greenwich Strategy full-time

Pros

The Work: The quality of work Greenwich Strategy produces is exceptional by any measure. The firm has built a very strong reputation over the last ~20 years for this exact reason. As a result, the firm rarely (if ever) pitches to clients, meaning that employees get to devote 100% of their time to creating meaningful work on active engagements. Projects typically last ~4 weeks for private equity and hedge fund clients, with corporate client timelines being more varied. As a result, the work itself is very fast-paced, and every analyst and consultant plays an active role throughout the project lifecycle. The Culture: Greenwich Strategy manages to create a unique work-life balance for its employees. With projects lasting an average of ~4 weeks, there is pressure on every employee to make meaningful contributions every single day. This creates a degree of intensity most people haven’t experienced professionally. While the work is intense, Greenwich Strategy has some extremely employee-friendly business practices. Most importantly (in my opinion) is the lack of work on weekends. The degree to which weekends are protected is unique among similarly demanding positions (consulting, ibanking, PE, tech). Whatever comes next for me, I am going to greatly miss Greenwich Strategy’s weekend policy, as well as “Greenwich Strategy Holidays”. Career Progression: Greenwich Strategy has played an extremely important role in my professional development. Any driven person is going to greatly improve their skill-set while working at this firm. Partner-level involvement in every aspect of a project means that you are constantly being challenged to push your abilities further. The environment is extremely collaborative and case team meetings always bring a diverse set of viewpoints (for example, when I first joined, the analysts I worked with came from investment banking, consulting, engineering and a F500 leadership program). Prior to joining GS, I spent a lot of time in meetings with various investors, consultants, investment bankers and industry executives, and I continue to be impressed with the high-level thinking that goes on in Greenwich Strategy meetings. People go in a lot of different directions after leaving Greenwich Strategy, but the majority of analysts go to business school. The partners are extremely supportive and helpful once employees decide what they want to do next. Pay: Without going into too much detail…the pay is really solid and everyone I’ve ever spoken to has expressed satisfaction with their compensation.

Cons

Providence: Living in (or very close to) Providence is definitely something I recommend to anyone joining the firm. The commute to Providence from Boston is about 45 minutes, which would be rough when we are busy on projects. I personally chose to live in Providence, and really enjoyed the city. It is on the smaller side and could be an adjustment for people moving from a major city, but it also has a much lower cost of living than places like Boston, and has plenty of fun things to do.

2. "Amazing Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Part Time in Providence, RI

I worked at Greenwich Strategy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Being at Greenwich Strategy taught me so much, and that was not even the best part. Everyone who works there is brilliant and works very hard, yet they still know how to make the job fun. Being a small consulting firm you get to know everyone really well and they are exactly the type of people that you want to surround yourself with: smart, kind, determined, and balanced individuals. I was able to sit in on the meetings and absorb everything that I could and I only scratched the surface. The job itself is very interesting and never failed to astound me as to how a company could not only be formed, but profitable as well off of something that you would not even think about. It is very exciting and rewarding and I would recommend this company to anyone that I think is up to the task.

Cons

When you are on project the hours can get very long. Unlike some other jobs, there is no room for an intense social life during the week. However, my opinion is that nothing really important happens on the weekdays anyways. If you work hard during the week you get to relax and have fun over the weekends, which is more than some other companies can say.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Greenwich Strategy.