GreyB - A Workplace of Freedom: One that would get you out of your cocoon... | Glassdoor

"A Workplace of Freedom: One that would get you out of your cocoon..."

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Mohali, Punjab

I have been working at GreyB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Before I tell you the pros, let me brief you about my tenure at this place: I have been working here for more than 2 years now. I will try not to sugarcoat anything and say it outright: It's not ALWAYS easy. And of course, I have thought about leaving this company more than a couple of times. But then, each time, I have found more than a few reasons to stay, too. And let me clear, money is not one of the reasons (albeit they pay you more than enough). As I said, it's not always easy, but it's definitely worth it. (Sorry for the cliché.) So, here are the reasons for me deciding to continue working here, even though my bond is complete, and I'm hundreds of miles away from home: 1. Freedom of thought, speech, action and interaction: This is a place where you'll get the freedom/independence/chance to exercise what you believe in or are passionate about or bring a positive change in the MO, no matter your designation. For example, when I joined the company two years back, I was able to identify that writing skills of my co-workers could be improved in order to further improve the deliverables that we send out the client. And guess what, I was given the opportunity to take sessions on English here! I mean, come on, in which company have you seen people being open to accepting that a junior would help them improve, and that too through sessions on communication. More than that, I felt the freedom to speak my thoughts and get them implemented. Furthermore, to encourage the culture of freedom, the workplace has been designed such that you can, any minute, go a few steps and approach the Group Manager or the AVP, without thinking twice. Yes, they do not sit in isolated, distant cabins here -- ones that would make you feel hesitant. Plus, to promote freedom of expression, we have an internal forum here, where any employee can create a thread for ANY topic that they want to discuss or spread awareness about. 2. Get paid for the quality of work that you deliver. Work good. Earn good. That's the policy. This is to say that if you possess/learn the virtues of a Manager within 4 years of job, you'll get promoted to being a manager even if there are seniors with 5/6 years of experience but lacking the required virtues. That's fair enough, right?! (Also, this creates a thought process of keeping growing all the time.) 3. One-to-one mentorship: Yes, I count this as a pro because you get your personalized training from a mentor who is dedicatedly assigned to you. And they are all in to groom you into a professional with the right values and virtues to have expedited learning and growth curves. Plus, the mentors and managers make every effort to make this place a healthy work environment for you (unless you are the office politics-lover sort). 4. Help you get out of your cocoon. I really cannot believe how much I've grown in just 2 years. Now of course, I led a couple to teams back in college, but what I actually needed to be a good professional needed me to get out of my comfort zone. And, even though that doesn't sound very comfortable, I was more than happy when I saw the end result. Today, I am more sorted, clear-headed, confident about what I am, know about where I need to improve, and what would keep me going. 5. Learning new things everyday. This place is for people who want to keep learning and growing their knowledge base all the time. So, I've worked on countless number of technologies till now, and know the newest happening in most domains. So, if you're the learning sort, this place is awesome.

Cons

No place is perfect, neither are we. So, I'll be as honest for the cons as I was for mentioning the pros. Longer-than-usual office hours. In the beginning, it was quite difficult to convince my parents that this is where I want to continue working. They were worried because the usual time when everybody ends their shift is between 7 and 8 PM. Plus, on some rare days, you sit till 10 or 11. And on even the rarest days, you sit beyond that, too. And well, both of my parents are government employees. So, for them, a 10-hour job is a lot for their little child, of course. Plus, the hours when we get off from the office on rare days would not be called the safest by many. (As a solution, though, you can have your own vehicle if possible. And if not, the company does provide free cab service at whichever hour demanded.) It gets worse in case of short-deadline projects, when we need to work for longer hours throughout the week or so; or if not that, we sometimes need to come of the weekend. It is physically and mentally exhausting. (But if slots are free, you can definitely take a day off after a busy project. I've been fortunate enough, I guess.) The thing is that people here prefer work-life harmony to work-life balance. This is to say that you should be able to get your personal work done, even on a weekday if that's the case, by taking a 2-hour break from work and compensating by sitting an extra 2 hours. So, that's that.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be: 1. To better the environment in such a way to hire and grow MORE people quickly. This way, the workload would be divided and the people might feel more relaxed while working. 2. Consider the "people" working here as people rather than just resources before saying 'Yes' to short-deadline/demanding projects. Following these might actually improve the retention rate.

GreyB2019-08-25

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Not very good"

I have been working at GreyB full-time

Pros

Get to learn a lot

Cons

Too much pressure, bad work environment

GreyB2020-01-14
  2. "Internship"

Current Intern - Internship in North

I have been working at GreyB for less than a year

Pros

Great enviornment, helping seniors, lot to learn

Cons

Not any thing to worry about yet

GreyB2019-10-21

Discover more reviews about GreyB.