Grocery Outlet - Don't Let Grocery Outlet Be a Missed Connection! | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Pay, Schedule, Friendly Employees, Work Environment" (in 13 reviews)

• "office politics’ going on, but leaders who value hard work and recognize talent" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "No benefits and often times understaffed" (in 17 reviews)

• "And who in this state can survive on minimum wage" (in 10 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Don't Let Grocery Outlet Be a Missed Connection!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Is it cheesy if I say everything?

Truly though, from my very first interaction - with who I can only describe as the most diligent, personable, and real recruiter I've ever met - through my very enjoyable and expedited interview process with my amazing team, Grocery Outlet continues to amaze!

Everyone you encounter is so welcoming and genuinely happy to meet you. It's clear from day one that overall, the company has very low ego; we're all interested in collective success and operate with the "one team, one dream" mindset. In my first few weeks, I kept thinking that the other shoe HAS to drop, but it hasn't, and I still find myself experiencing surprise and delight regularly.

The office is very surprising and not what I expected when I came onsite for my interviews. Open-concept, modern looking with a gym, private showers, multiple places for meetings (private and open) and tons and tons of buyer samples (yum!) I think there are only one or two offices in the whole building, and they are designated for confidential functions only. It's like, "Executives: They're Just Like Us!" (CEO and Vice Chairman sit in the open-concept, too). It's great!

There is a healthy mix of tenure that is a constant reminder that the company is invested in hiring and retaining the right people and propelling them to grow successful careers here. There are so many examples of working from the ground up, and having experience in several different areas of the business, creating new roles for teams to fill needs and expand reach - very encouraging! This doesn't mean that we hire based on talent alone - everyone shares the same level of scrutiny around finding the right cultural fit, and it shows!

I am also loving how humble the culture is and how the structure is relatively flat. The level of bureaucracy and political red tape I experienced at my previous companies (large corporate retailers) was often a source of extreme stress and very low job satisfaction. From leaders stifling creativity and acting as blockers, to creating a CYA culture of fear of taking accountability. At GO, this isn't the case - I am regularly reminded of this based on the amount of runway I was given immediately, how mistakes are not treated like the end of the world, how quickly decisions are made, how much trust leaders have in their people, and how collaborative everyone is, even at the executive level.

All in all, I am so glad that I didn't allow Grocery Outlet to become a missed connection in my job search. I thought I knew what I wanted and where I wanted to be, but I was so, so wrong. I am now at a fabulous company full of amazing and hard-working people, and in a new role that is mine to shape and build out and grow. It's the best decision I've made in a long, long time! This is truly a hidden gem of a company and a real diamond in the rough!

Cons

The company has operated like a small company for a long time and sometimes documentation and structure around processes isn't the best and you have to learn from one or more people to get the full picture. Also, when you have a job that has touch-points with multiple departments and functions, it can be a little overwhelming to figure out who does what, etc. Fortunately, everyone is super open and willing to help, so you aren't ever stuck!

Advice to Management

Make sure that cultural fit is always at the top of the list when bringing in new employees to preserve that Grocery Outlet secret sauce. We are growing very quickly and it would be all too easy to fall into a pattern of "get butts in seats" so that work can be done, but that's a practice that becomes a culture-killer.

Mar 13, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grocery Outlet. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the hiring process. We look forward to you helping us preserve our "secret sauce"! Watch out for those... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Good compant, hard to work with people who don't care"

Former Employee - Freight
    Former Employee - Freight

I worked at Grocery Outlet full-time

Pros

Free to rearrange or move product when needed
    Free to express self to management

Cons

Worked with a lot of people who didn't want to be there.

Mar 27, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience. As you know, Grocery Outlet stores are independently owned and operated. I would encourage you to share your feedback with the store owner

2. "The best opportunity I didn't realize I needed!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's true that I've been here for only over a month, but in my experience you can tell a lot about a company in the first 30 days and whether it's a fit for you or not. Everyone has been very welcoming and the culture is very supportive. It was honestly the most direct and good interview process I've ever had. They were responsive and timely and honest. As I've been moving through my first month I'm finding more to really like, hence why I said what I said in the headline. They really want to empower you to take on anything you are interested in, even if it's not something assigned to you. If you show interest and have the drive and skills to give it a try, you'll most likely find support for your efforts. Looking forward to more good things to come. =)

Cons

If you happen to land in a position that interfaces with many departments like I do, it could feel a bit overwhelming initially getting to know who to contact for what, etc. But everyone is super nice so that makes it easier. It's not a huge matrixed organization like a Gap or Google, but it's also not a small office.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and as there is continued growth, be sure to keep focusing on how to best on-board new employees so that they can be the most successful. Additional structure to the on-boarding process that involves specific training vs. just getting to know the players would be super helpful. Definitely do everything you can to maintain the entrepreneurial spirit and culture as many companies lose that as they grow exponentially.

Mar 13, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grocery Outlet. We are so glad that you feel empowered to use your entrepreneurial spirit! We look forward to your contributions supporting the growth of our... More

Discover more reviews about Grocery Outlet.