Grocery Outlet - I had a great time working at Grocery Outlet while I was an employee there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Grocery Outlet

"I had a great time working at Grocery Outlet while I was an employee there"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Grocery Outlet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, people are friendly and willing to assist you.

Cons

Small company with a mind of a large company trying to compete with the big retail outlets.

Advice to Management

Company is too structured and does not listen to employees suggestions since I tried working there, had to keep my mouth shut.

Other Employee Reviews for Grocery Outlet

"Only if you want a job you can't depend on"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a manager you can sometimes work a M-F 9 to 5 schedule. $50 bonus for perfect attendance every 3 months.

Cons

No benefits. Low wages.Clerks $8.25/hr managers $10/hr No sick time. Management drastically cuts hours of most employees at the end of the month. Individually franchised so there is no structure for internal promotion to the corporate side. Rapid expansion of new stores are cannibalizing it's own sales.

2. "An overgrown, inbred mom & pop shop that is very out of touch."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well established company that has undergone a facelift and strong franchise growth but mainly due to outside investment and direction from that investor. GOBM sells many products: some excellent and some very poor, but nevertheless has finally become a very good alternative to the larger name supermarkets in the west coast states.

Cons

While a lot of outside investment has finally made GOBM look like a real store, and there have been some outside additions to upper management brining in some contemporary ideas, many corporate departments suffer from dinosaur management policies and techniques and are not open to the ideas which they claim that they are looking for during the interview. GOBM management cannot stop bragging about its franchise and sales growth, but departments like IT and HR are struggling to scale up, are very behind the times, and are not open to suggestion or modernization. Even their corporate office is too small for the corporate work force with communications meetings held in cubicle hallways attended by standing and ground hogging employees.

Advice to Management

Growth comes in many different forms, not just sales and franchise numbers. The stores got their facelift some years back; now do the same for the corporate culture.