Groendyke Transport - Love the work,most of the people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Groendyke Transport

"Love the work,most of the people."

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Truck Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good tractors, trailers are being replaced slowly but most are in good shape just old. Most of the the people are great to work with. Mostly great shippers and receivers . Home time when you want it with advanced notice

Cons

65 mph trucks,Collison Warning System. Lane Management System, speed gauge. Micromanaging

Advice to Management

You tell us we're the best drivers in the business then you turn around and buy trucks with all this so called safety management systems on them. So I guess we're not the best in the business. Speed limits are 70 to 80 mph and we're stuck at 65. We can't get out of our own way non the less get around someone going slower. With the aggressive nature of drivers nowadays we will slow someone up just enough to to have someone shot one of these days. Just sayin'

May 4, 2017 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

It’s great to here that you’re enjoying working here at Groendyke Transport. We appreciate your loyalty to the company. I also notice you have some concerns with the safety equipment on many of our... More

Other Employee Reviews for Groendyke Transport

"Driver Beware"

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Groendyke Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Adaquate amenities at terminal. Good tractors for the most part. Trailers can leave a bit to be desired. The shop and mechanics were some of the best I've been around and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

That sick feeling in your stomach when you're hit with the truth that the company you work for isn't exactly what they portray themselves to be.
     Pay is well below average in comparison to the competiton in this area. Benefits are expensive. There are better plans out there from competitor insurance companies at a significant lower cost to your employees. BCBS is a group of many independent agencies so the specs and cost of care vary on the company servicing your area. And isn't the entire company covered by BCBS of Oklahoma? As much as I love Oklahoma, it is traditionally always in the bottom quartile in health care. Coming in at the 47th spot in national rankings last time I checked.
      I won't paint the entire management at Groendyke with the same broad brush, but the majority of managers I worked with have not only drank the red kool-aid, they've been baptized in it. Unfortunately, i came to expect lip service and half truths as the norm. If you come to work here, keep records of everything and always always always follow up.

Advice to Management

"Drivers are a dime a dozen." I overheard the regional manager in charge of the area chime in with this sentence during a conversation. It was at this point I decided I had seen enough and was time to move on. This, among other incidents and actions, were a direct contradiction to what Groendyke portrayed itself to be. This individual, before any TM, ATM, or OC is the primary representative of the corporate office in our area. Is this a direct reflection of the feelings and attitude of Enid execs? Please understand, your drivers aren't stupid. We are well aware and watch what management is, and more importantly, isn't doing/saying. And trust me, we remember.
    Please take care of your drivers. Remember, they have a choice of where they work. Most are highly employable and much of your competition is working very hard to bring good drivers (YOUR drivers) on board with them. If Groendyke drivers are the "best in the industry" then pay them the money "the best" deserve, don't just give them a nice, little title.
    Please not only train your management, but continue to aggressively develop them. Instill in them that integrity and honesty with their employees is ALWAYS the right answer. Their people won't always like what they hear but will respect them for being straight and upfront. I really wanted to like Groendyke, but the vast disconnect between subordinate and management was simply no longer worth the hassle or effort.

May 15, 2017 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

We appreciate the feedback, and we’d like to clear the air on some misconceptions regarding Groendyke Transport’s benefits. Simply put, facts consistently show our benefits are among the best in the... More

"Decent company"

I worked at Groendyke Transport full-time

Pros

401 k match
    Decent insurance rates and coverage.
    Paid vacation
    If your military you have it made.
    Alcohol at the lodge meetings
    All is good when they want something from you.
    Work in the bigger cities you get new equipment.

Cons

Old school attitude.
    Good boy club - golden children is common practice.
    Hr does not work with management well.
    There is a lot of yes men in the company.
    Lots of drama can be stirred up when you don't cower down to the Enid office.
    Everyone wants a important title - Vice President of __________.
    Small terminal older equipment.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in meetings - the company is in the people business. And listen to your people. Managment has a closed door policy as old school as they come( We have done it this way forever is why) attitude often the drag your feet in fear of failure and fail because you didn't make a move.

Apr 27, 2017 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

We’re sorry to hear you had a difficult experience as an employee. While we acknowledge our business is not a fit for everyone, we take great pride in providing a work environment and culture that... More