Groove Commerce - Great experience | Glassdoor

"Great experience"

I worked at Groove Commerce full-time

Pros

The folks here are great. There is a very entrepreneurial spirit around the office. There are great benefits as well as regular team outings and events. It's small enough that you know everyone, but large enough to handle bigger clientele, so you get to work on some pretty big stuff! The group is young and fresh and there is always something fun going on.

Cons

It is an agency so work ebbs and flows. Sometimes there is too much work to handle and it can get stressful.

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees more, actually listen to what they have to say and act on it. Action items should be handled as soon as possible. Be proactive with your employees, not reactive.

Other Employee Reviews for Groove Commerce

"Enjoying working at Groove"

Current Employee - Groove Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Groove Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Groove Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Groove has assembled a really strong and dedicated team that is doing great work. Yes the office is beautiful and the company works very hard to make it a fun place to work but overall I am impressed with the level of talent Groove has on board right now. From what I understand Groove has definitely matured. Also the level of transparency provided by management is refreshing and is rare for agencies of this size or agencies in general. Weekly all hands meetings are great IMO. I've worked at a few other agencies, both large and small, and so far Groove is providing its employees with more resources, training opportunities and overall tools to be successful. As I read some of the other reviews, I understand that all agencies experience decent turn, especially in a hot job market but for me I am really happy to be on board, I am engaged and I am seizing the opportunity they are giving me. I am not management but I felt compelled to balance out some of these reviews that definitely do not portray what it is like to work for Groove in 2016.

Cons

Despite having a really nice office with lots of perks that give off an "all play" persona, Groove is not for those who do not want to work hard. If you want to learn, advance your career and have some fun along the way, then Groove is a great spot. Not necessarily a "con" in my opinion but if you are passionate about digital marketing and can channel it into your work you'll love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep improving, keep maturing don't try to be what you are not. Continue hiring experienced pro's who raise the bar as to the type of work being delivered and the culture of the company.

"All talk, no substance."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Groove Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flashy office, fringe benefits like beer in the office, free food, and big screen TVs.

Cons

Writing this review because it's not fair that the slew of current employee reviews written in the same week push the honest reviews back. It almost makes you think they were directed to write them!

The CEO is a complete narcissist. Everything he does is aimed at making himself look special, even if it's a complete waste of money or superficial. The flashy office belies an under-experienced staff who are billed out at experienced rates.They make significant mistakes at client expense. They over promise and under deliver, consistently. They push employees to (unethically) post positive reviews of the company, as opposed to fixing the problems that cause the negative reviews in the first place.

It should tell you something that there are recurring get-togethers for past employees, with the common purpose of bashing their former employer. Attendees include employees who have been fired, quit, and laid off. The commonality is they don't work there anymore, and no one misses it.

The hiring mantra there seems to be "hire two, fire one." Nobody is valued, regardless of what they're told, and anyone can be thrown under the bus if someone is making the CEO look bad (deserved or not).

The sales team will promise anything to get a signed contract.

There is an expectation of long hours for the benefit of the company, but compensation is too low to attract more experienced professionals who know or respect their worth and time-value.

And the "acquisitions" made to grow the firm were simply friends of the CEO whose own companies were failing and a way for them to save face.

The CEO is the precise opposite of a leader. He hides when he should get in front of an issue. He throws people to the wolves when his name is on the line. He blames people for his own mis-management when things go wrong. You can't trust him.

Advice to Management

Think beyond the management team clique and value your employees. Really value them. Treat them like people. Acknowledge the client base is on the smaller side of business, because you're not in the same league as the bigger agencies, even in Baltimore. Getting a story in local press about the CEO's self-aggrandizing behavior (like spending a ton of money to doll up HQ) does not equate to being a quality agency.

Do something really meaningful. Help build and grow careers. Don't treat people like pigs to be slaughtered on your whim. Look up the golden rule and apply it to your business.