Grooveshark - 100% Honesty. | Glassdoor

"100% Honesty."

I worked at Grooveshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Grooveshark provides many people with the rare experience of having a very real impact on a company and the direction it will go, especially for a 20-something (which most of us are). You will be pushed at Grooveshark and learn to iterate your butt off until you can find someway to deliver a feature or request that has been talked about for ages. The experience you will earn will make you not only a rockstar at future endeavors, it will teach you a lot about the things you value (or don't) in a work environment.

Cons

While Grooveshark does offer its employees a lot of opportunity to influence the product, what occurs is a virtual and literal shouting match of people declaring why their implementation is the best. What ends up occurring is whoever shouts the loudest, or whoever is allowed to shout the loudest, wins. What results is a very disorganized company structure and an inability to innovate fast enough to deal with lawsuits and fast-growing competitors. There is a perpetual sense of unease working for the company as Grooveshark has experienced not just one, but two major company-wide lay-offs (Mind you, the company is less than 80 persons). I had a fun time at this company, but I would not recommend it to anyone. The pay is below market value, the work life balance is poor, and the egos are real. If you are talented enough to get hired at Grooveshark, you are talented enough to get hired at some place else that does a better job at developing, nurturing and caring for its employees.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and stop playing best buddies with whomever you drink with. The company is in serious danger of collapse and it is your responsibility to let people know how discussions are going. 4 years of saying "We're almost in the door" is not satisfactory. Best of luck.

Other Employee Reviews for Grooveshark

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Positive attitudes that make coming to work everyday fun. Creativity is highly encouraged. Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

A lot of organization to be done but that is being worked on. I believe a lot of people get paid highly to do nothing.

"Amazing culture, driven by a passionate, visionary and talented team. I love coming to work every day."

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best team in the business, incredibly rewarding, and the product is evolving and changing the streaming music game and anyone working here is rewarded for all their efforts every day. It's a family. Our advertisers see incredible CTRs and results after every campaign, 100% of the time. And the teams work tirelessly to ensure clients are above and beyond happy every step of the way. We are a part of something truly unique here. Anyone that has worked with us the last year and a half can attest.

Cons

Past and some current perception and those who don't fully understand some of the history will sometimes hold you up - but only for a moment. Then they get it and see the truth and see what this incredible group of talented, driven, hard working, results oriented teams are building. It's visionary and amazing to be on a team driven to help artists and bring great music to the world. Motivated by music and a dream to achieve something great every day. No cons that can't be overcome.