Group Health - A company blinded by its own arrogance. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Group Health

"A company blinded by its own arrogance."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Group Health offers a comprehensive benefit package to its employees, including a generous PTO accrual rate (for exempt employees anyway). Beyond that, I struggle to find anything to list as a "pros".

Cons

Regarding my the title of this review, the organization continuously boasts that it is a "model for the nation" when it comes to the future of healthcare. Unfortunately they believe their own hype and ignore the structural and management problems deeply ingrained in the company. During my approximately five years working there, the organization skipped from one financial crisis to another. Each time they reconcile the financial issues on the backs of lower level employees (who are not the ones causing the problems). They have frozen PTO accrual, implemented hiring freezes, and conducted extensive layoffs during the past few years. The employees who survived the layoffs, and presumably the ones worth keeping, then faced having their position downgraded, including taking a pay-cut, or outsourced. So basically I busted my hump, always received exemplary performance reviews, only to be rewarded with almost zero opportunity for advancement and giving up some of my pay to cover the poor financial decisions made by inept senior management. Additionally, beyond all of that, favoritism is rampant, at least it was in my little corner of the company. People are advanced, not based on their proven capabilities, but rather how much they butt-kiss and act perky while doing it. To current and future employees, good luck!

Advice to Management

Clean house with upper management, including replacing the CEO.

Other Employee Reviews for Group Health

1. "Rewarding and innovating work, however, golden handcuffs . . .""

I have been working at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely competitive pay, compared to similar jobs in industry; work-life balance is awesome; innovation is usually encouraged but so is productivity; my department is structured to allow us to choose what skills we'd like to develop and to spend some time doing it. Cavaet: this is my experience - I have close friends inside the company who have very different (negative) experiences; that's probably true in most large organizations. I truly connect with and believe in the mission of this organization and enjoy the story of it's founding in 1949. Very evidence-based driven and scientific.

Cons

Golden handcuff remark relates to how the pay is so competitive, it makes it hard to justify changing jobs. This was especially true during hard economic times. Very little accountability at the leadership level. Depending on the work, there can be a fear of making important decisions. I believe this is driven, partly, by the complexity of health care organizations and financing and thus, the tendency to over-analyze (analysis paralysis). Personally, I have little to no opportunities to develop project management skills within my current role. The gap between the lowest paid employees and the highest paid employees has grown since I arrived. It kind of resembles in micro what's happening in the U.S. in macro.

Advice to Management

If they really want to provide health care to the most number of people (like their mission says), dissolve the insurance-side of the business and start advocating for single-payer. GH could be the most significant provider of health services in the PNW and they know the fee-for-service model is doomed. Oh, and cut executive pay.

2. "Great people with poor decision-making and strategic management processes."

Pros

Patient-centered culture with many smart well meaning people

Cons

Immature management, systems and business processes that has resulted in above-market rates and enrollment losses, which will require continued cost restructuring and layoffs. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

Be clear about the strategy, set appropriate financial targets, restructure quickly, act decisively and handle layoffs compassionately and offer early retirements and voluntary separations packages. Also, reform outdated governance structures that inhibit clear authority and accountability.