Group Health - Decent place to work, with odd dynamic | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Group Health

"Decent place to work, with odd dynamic"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent. People are generally very nice. If you work at the headquarters, South lake Union is a vibrant area and has many places you can walk to lunch. Benefits are good, with a fairly liberal paid time off policy.

Cons

Company lacks leadership and direction. There are factions at the senior executive level that have conflicting priorities and can't reconcile them. Most of the senior leadership has spent the vast majority of their careers at Group Health, so there is a massive lack of business acumen.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are not telling you everything, because they don't understand what is actually important to the business. Connect more directly with field employees and learn what is going on. Don't try to do this in "town hall" meetings as employees generally don't feel safe speaking up in these events.

Other Employee Reviews for Group Health

"Two Companies in One"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Time off is excellent and most managers allow enough flexibility to manage your work and life balance. Good health coverage and reasonable benefits package (although would not be confused with "generous" benefits package).

Cons

Leadership is stymied by president Armstrong. His outdated attitudes to business appeal to the organization's remaining core constiuency of long-time members but he ignores modern business ideas that could make the company more attractive to recruits. He seems completely incapable of managing the two cultures of an insurance company and a healthcare delivery company and is contrantly trying to mash them together. Armstrong is a prime factor in keeping this company a second-rate place to work.

Advice to Management

Consider work units individually. Corportate offices should act like modern corporate offices with accellerated technology adaptations and modern cultural norms like casual dress and manager self-sufficiency. Management needs to enforce a culture when "professional" is something you do, not something you wear and achievement is measured in operational success instead of office size and dedicated secretarial support.

"Focus on People needs upgrade"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, competitive salaries and very generous paid time off.

Cons

With all the recent cuts over the last 2 years, difficult to take vacations in some areas due to too much work and not enough back-up support. However, leadership seems to be able to still take time off.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people you have left a lot more or you'll keep losing the best and brightest. Be much more thoughtful with reductions - retain the talent! We're doing so much more work with little to no training of the new work we're taking on. Reassess the people you have left and fairly compensate them for all the new work their doing. Example: In my department alone, after 3 people were laid off, I took on their work plus my own (with extremely limited training). I just keep treading water, hoping it will get better, but it's been almost a year of this. My new boss has only asked me how I was doing once in the last 9 months since I started reporting to her. After 12 loyal, hard working years (10 of it really satisfying with great people to work with and for), the last 2 years has left me worn out and dusting off my resume'.