Groupon - Company going through transition with leadership not knowing exactly what they want. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

"Company going through transition with leadership not knowing exactly what they want."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed culture, very young environment, on-site cafeteria so no need to leave the office mid-day, a ton of very talented sales and technology professionals.

Cons

Leadership changes in focus on a dime, most people aren't pacing to goal, very little job security, tenured based success, not set up for newer people to be successful unless replacing someone, goals are trending toward unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Culture of very little job security is unhealthy to employees, and rapid change of contacts is very suspect to merchants. If the majority of the company is not pacing toward goal, then something needs to change with the goals.

Other Employee Reviews for Groupon

"Great Product. Terrible upper management"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility. Laptop, iPhone. If you get a terrible manager it is no big deal. You will get a new one in a few months. Great product that keeps getting better.

Cons

As an Outside Sales rep you are very isolated. Management sometimes forgets that they even have an outside sales staff and tailors everything for the inside reps. Very little room for advancement for outside reps although they are genuinely trying to create a career path for us. They haven't brought us in for training in almost a year, even though the product has almost completely changed. Many of us desperately want/need a refresher and simply have a need to reconnect. We have very few tools at our disposal to use in the field. Many processes are being automated with little concern for the ramifications. There are several flaws with the current comp plan and sales processes but there is no one that will stop and listen to find out why they will not work. Definitely a "burn and turn" mentality. Every month it seems as if they are trying to find another way to pay their staff less. There are many sales processes could be streamlined and are not but there is no one that will listen when you try to give suggestions. It never goes past your DSM. Inside and outside reps need to work together, however due to the boiler room mentality we are often pitted against each other.

Advice to Management

Completely think through your decisions before you make them. Talk to the sales reps. Maybe come and ride along with some of us so that you actually know what our jobs entail. Don't forget that you have outside sales reps that are ingrained in our communities and that have tons of sales experience. Realize that there is some seasonality to our business when setting goals.

"unorganized and ever changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work culture is great. Office is in a great location and has great amenities. In the beginning it was a very exciting place to be and I very much enjoyed my time, never woke up dreading coming into the office once.

Cons

I have had 4 different managers and 3 different DSMs in 8months so nothing and no one is consistent. There is no one to go to bat for you if those who are supposed to keep getting fired or quit. Salary for my position is all over the place. Some are making close to nothing and some are making 10k more for doing the same exact workload.

Advice to Management

Some departments are very well taken care of(the ones that bring you money) some are completely ignored. Make sure all departments are taken care of and things may work to your favor.