Groupon - The Grass really is green here! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

"The Grass really is green here!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'd like to start by saying that I already had about 6 years of sales experience between two different companies prior to starting at Groupon. I hear a lot of complaints about how the culture and pay has changed over the years at Groupon. With that said, most of these complaints seem to come from people that are relatively inexperienced in the working world. Others who have seen different working environments tend to appreciate what we have here at Groupon. Anytime I feel like complaining about my situation, I think back to my younger years in other sales environments and honestly feel lucky. Sure the money can be inconsistent but that's sales and honestly you get out of it what you put in. On that subject, I hear others saying that the environment is unstable but this is a start up and that's how start ups behave. I feel fortunate that I work at a company that actually changes when they see things taking a wrong turn. I also feel like I have a ton of opportunity to better myself as a salesperson here. We are constantly invited to trainings that can help us fine tune our skills and hone in on new ones.

Cons

The only con that I see here is the lack of opportunity to move up in your career. There are a lot of very intelligent and driven people working here and it's tough to compete with that. However, my managers and even senior management is always willing to listen and help you come up with a strategy to move forward in the right direction.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have to management is to continue to try and develop talent from within. A lot of us love working here and would really like to make a career out of it, however at times it seems hard to do so.

Other Employee Reviews for Groupon

"Awful Management"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Casual dress wear
    -Free Vitamin water and coffee

Cons

-Career advancement
    -Management
    -Incentives
    -Morale
    -High turnover

I'm sure there are some departments within Groupon that are well-managed, but Merchant Services / Account Management is not one of them. I have never been under such poor management in my life. As an account manager, you will be belittled, undervalued, under-appreciated, underpaid, and taken advantage of. You will learn very quickly that you are the bottom rung on a unorganized, unprofessional company ladder. The metrics in which your performance is measured on change almost monthly (and are delayed in sending out so you have less time to see where you stand). You will be under the supervision of a Team Lead (or TL). This TL will be in meetings all day. They will then judge you (with no logic) on your daily tasks (even though they never did those tasks themselves) and then sit on a soapbox while allocating a high deal count to you. One team specifically had a team count of 12 account managers that then went down to 4 in the matter of weeks. This is a reflection on how poor this department is.. They do not replace employees when they leave (shows how important they really are), and the workload of the employee that left gets dumped onto others who already have a full count. The employees that stay are then held to the same standard as if they had a normal workload to begin with. I would never recommend working here to a friend. I wouldn't even recommend working here to my
    worst enemy. Please, highly consider other options before even thinking about becoming an account manager at Groupon. I do not see a job being much worse than this.

Advice to Management

It's too late to do any radical changes. Management in this department is completely oblivious as to how dissatisfied their employees are.

"RUN"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking. Wear what you want to work. Free pop. Yep....that's it.

Cons

Commission structure changes almost quarterly, if not more. Inexperienced managers leading teams. It's a madhouse. The company is super focused on becoming a Best Place to Work again which to them means having free beer and street festivals for employees. Might want to try actual good work environment tactics. You're treated like a number. You as a person don't mean a darn thing to your manager or to the company.

Advice to Management

Find your star employees and grow them. Go to bat for them. Find better management. You have very very few quality managers throughout the building. Get quality employees and stop hiring for cheap. Shake the god complex. Groupon is not saving local commerce and helping the small guys always. You're forcing them to discount because their friend next door does. Businesses should use legit marketing practices to grow not just discounting with a brand that more times then not will drive down their review scores online.