Guardian Life - GLIC | Glassdoor

"GLIC"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bethlehem, PA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Guardian Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

Management is not friendly and doesn't care for your opinion.
They let people go after years with company to save a few bucks.

Advice to Management

Experience is better than intolerance.

Other Employee Reviews for Guardian Life

1. "Big Company"

Former Employee - Equity Investor Communications Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Investor Communications Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Guardian Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salaries are very good with a flexible, casual dress policy.

Cons

It is an enormous company with almost storybook jealousies, politics and outright sabotage.

Advice to Management

I came to Guardian from a midsize business where the emphasis was more on getting the best information through cooperation. Guardian's department doctrine is inflexible and seems to almost welcome intra-department sabotage. I was appalled by what I saw and experienced -- especially when the boss joined in. I understand for a company that size, some things must be written in stone, but a cooperative atmosphere usually works much better than cut throat one for me and me alone.

"Toxic culture, poor pay, unwelcoming colleagues awaiting retirement"

Former Employee - Benefit Analyst in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Benefit Analyst in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Guardian Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training/Trainer. Easy location to access. Large company with cafeteria.

Cons

The work environment was terrible. Colleagues were not inviting to group of new hires at all. Outdated operating systems. HUGE claim load. High pressure, little reward. Poor pay. The position was titled "Analyst" but I spent most of my time on the phone playing customer service with severely ill and dying clients and trying to tip toe around the idea of explaining how they weren't getting disability for whatever mundane reason. "Oh, you're dying a horrible death? It's too bad you've been paying for this disability insurance because you're disqualified because you went to a doctor five years ago for something similar." I left training with 8 college graduate employees eager to start as an analyst. By the end 6 months, half left, 2 made it 10 months, 1 waited until his year was up and tried to transfer out of the position (they denied it multiple times), and their is 1 currently still there.

Advice to Management

The analyst position should not have to deal with any customer service issue, it distracts from the real job. Culture is toxic. Actually allow an employee to apply for an transfer out of a department if the position does not work.