Guardsmark - Learned in the first week of employment that management does have the capacity to lead or give correct information. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark

"Learned in the first week of employment that management does have the capacity to lead or give correct information."

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard
Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay and job opportunites with the client company, if you have the required skills and qualifications.

Cons

Management.
I was lied to from the first day of the stupidly long application process. I was told there was one opening when in actuality I am the first hired in a wave of new guards to replace the current crew. The current contract ends and the new one begins March 1. I am the first armed guard to be hired but there are no others hired as of yet. If a fully armed crew is not hired in the next 2 weeks we will lose the contract. Our HR manager has been taking his time finding new people because he thought the new contract started in June. Why would the person who is in charge of the hiring process not have the correct information?
Uniforms.
The current unarmed security guard uniforms are outdated. The suit and tie security look does not look professional. The uniforms are cheaply made and the pants are itchy. Yes they are free but you have to have the pants altered and you might not get your size. My 1 pair of pants fit but only 1 of 3 shirts is my size. Also, if steel toe boots are required at your client site that comes out of your pocket.
Uniform appearance is lacking. I'm former active duty Navy and current Army reserve. I iron my cheap uniform and polish my boots but I appear to be the only one. The uniform regulations are barely enforced and facial hair regulations are not enforced. Even if the uniforms are cheap and outdated the appearance is still important but no body cares except me. No one wears the tie and I don't even think anyone was issued the blazer.
Paperwork.
Guardsmark wants everything hand written. Nothing can be printed out or e-mailed. The company wastes way too much paper. I'm not a tree hugging hippy but this company makes me feel bad for the trees. Every guard must fill out their daily report by hand every day. Monthly training must be done by hand every month. It's all read and answer the questions. I don't think there is any actual training. With your paycheck comes the newsletter and a day to day planner/calender with more training. Your envelope will be heavy with useless crap and your paycheck. Every week you must hand write out your time sheet in a somewhat confusing way even though your supervisor, who already has all that information including changes, has to fill out a weekly time sheet for everyone. All requests for an updated system get shot down and apparently if you press to hard you get fired.
Benefits.
 They have some benefits, but, they are expensive. If you have a higher paying position you might be alright but the lower paid employees usually go with their own medical and dental plans. If you have a family it's even more expensive. I think you can get free life insurance but you have to have been employed for a specified amount of time and work 40 hours a week. 39 hours or less and you lose the life insurance.

Advice to Management

Get facts straight. Don't lie and if you don't know say so. Pulling answers out of you butts makes you look incompetent and untrustworthy. Make the effort to ensure the guards who work for you have proper fitting uniforms and are wearing them according to regulations. You were hired to do a job so do it correctly. Most of these reviews I have read say management is horrible.

Other Employee Reviews for Guardsmark

"Find another company to work for"

Current Employee - Lead Security Officer
    Current Employee - Lead Security Officer

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any great pros about this company. Although working at the site I'm at is awesome. The people here are great.

Cons

Training is minimal, Lack of communication with the Supervisor, Pay sucks, The company doesn't follow their own guidelines but expects others to. Corp. sugar coats everything. I was a Supervisor for 6 months then was demoted to a Lead for absolutely no reason. I was told i didn't receive the proper training, go figure. My replacement is supposed to mentor and train me so i can move back up but that isn't happening. I've spoken with managers all that does is go through one ear and out the other. My advice to those people that are considering to work for this company is find a place that actually appreciates their employees.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to make sure that all Officers are properly trained and valued. Also if an employee gets promoted and there are still some things that that employee needs training on don't demote them, have someone come in and properly train them. Unless losing employees is the goal and if that's the case keep doing what you're doing cause it looks like it's working.

"A torture chamber"

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promotion, transfer and high earning potential

Cons

The money comes at a cost - psychological persecution

Advice to Management

Become human