Guidebook - Great company and talented people | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Guidebook

"Great company and talented people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Guidebook for almost 3 years before moving out of the Bay Area so my spouse and I could be closer to our families. In the last 6 months, as Guidebook has experienced more success, they've done a great job adding more benefits (e.g. 401k, better healthcare plans, catered lunched, amazing drinks/snacks, company outings). They've also corrected a lot of the pay issues that a lot of startups suffer from when first getting off the ground. By the time I left my job, I believe I was paid above market rate. The company has a strong culture and managers encourage their team members to continue to develop their skills. Also, now that the company is larger (65 employees at the time I am writing this review), work life balance is much better.

Cons

Though the culture is strong, I think it should be officially spelled out. Also, Guidebook hires a lot of people with 0-2 years of work experience. I think Guidebook would benefit from bringing in a few managers with more experience (say 5-10 years).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work -- almost everyone I knew at Guidebook was incredibly happy, so try not to change too much as the company continues to grow!

Other Employee Reviews for Guidebook

"Best Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Python Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Python Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Learned alongside some of the smartest developers I know
    -Quickly became friends with everyone and the office has a culture of being very fun and accepting
    -Everyone is a peer, and even as an intern you are treated as an essential component
    -Just an outright fun experience, everyone is a great person, the offices are stocked full of fun things to do, and the work is challenging but rewarding

Cons

It was a bit of a commute for me sometimes which is rough, but besides that nothing was really bad.

"Great culture, great people, and amazing product with lots of growth potential."

Pros

I'm writing this review mostly because when I was job hunting, Guidebook didn't have a lot of feedback on Glassdoor. So I want you to hear from a current employee - this is a great place to work! Here's why:

1. Talented, motivated, and friendly team. People are laid-back and approachable, but driven to succeed and competitive when it comes to work.
    2. Amazing culture! It's still a small company so you can get to know others well. There is also a lot of room to explore roles beyond your position - if you want to work on something, you are encouraged to go for it.
    3. Flexible vacation time and the ability to order what you want for the pantry. Cool, cozy offices in SF (near the Caltrain station) and Downtown Palo Alto.
    4. Guidebook's client base is growing every day, and we are always working on improving the product. The industry is competitive, but also still in its early stages, so there will be a lot of growth and adoption in the next few years.
    5. Senior management is accessible and careful with their decision making.

One thing to note is that at Guidebook, it's not about which school or company you came from. It's about what you bring to the table. There isn't a lot of room for egos, passivity, or people who don't care about the product.

Cons

As mentioned, it's a growing company, so while communication is very flexible, sometimes it is challenging to get all the teams on the same page.

There is no structured training program and no formal mentoring system. If you would prefer the kind of work environment where either of those things are available, you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Well done, you guys! I'm looking forward to Guidebook's continued success (and am happy to be part of it!). Oh - I guess we could do the company meetings a bit more regularly.