Guidewire - Am I Dreaming? | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Am I Dreaming?"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here's a company which is market leader by distance in the product segment they are in, yet they thrive for innovation and care deeply for each and every customer they have. Here's a company which is publicly traded and has well over 1500 employees, yet it has perks/fun of a start up (fully decked refrigerators, snacks, sandwiches, bagel days, thirsty Thursdays, onsite gym, fun events, team lunches etc - the list is quite long). Here's a company which is rated one of the top employers on various forums including Glassdoor, yet it goes above and beyond for employees they want to hire (phone screen -> hired in about 10 days!). Here's a company which is among one of the most boring industry segments (Property & casualty insurance), yet it comes up with a product so configurable that it has customers world wide(North America, South America, Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia). Here's a company which is based in California Bay Area, yet their bonuses/stocks/perks are not reserved only for executive management. Here's a company which is almost unheard of, yet it is one of the best employers to work for! This is coming from someone who has worked for variety of employers ranging from start up environments to Fortune 100 companies.

Cons

I don't have any as yet, but will update this review as soon as I find 1!

Advice to Management

While P&C insurance may be recession proof, it wouldn't harm to explore opportunities outside of this segment by leveraging technical/industry expertise gained thus far.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"While there is no perfect company, Guidewire is about as close as you are going to get."

Current Employee - Sales Consulting Management in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consulting Management in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While there is no perfect company, Guidewire is about as close as you are going to get. We run into challenges like every company does--some internal, some external. But when your entire organization, not just the executives, are rational and highly intelligent, it makes solving those problems a lot easier and faster.

The long-term trajectory of Guidewire is amazingly strong and senior leadership, from the person I report to all they way to our CEO, is truly exceptional. The group consists of quite possibly the most humble, rational group of leaders that could be collected. This is a unique place to work.

Cons

It's tough to articulate cons that are unique to Guidewire. For example, if you are in a role at Guidewire that requires heavy travel, does that force you to constantly plan and adjust to achieve work-life balance? Of course--but that's true of any company.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay the course on our company values, regardless of our growth and the investment community expectations that expand every year. I don't pretend that this will be easy---but it's worth it.

"Still smiling after all these years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guidewire is a place where you can feel like you belong, regardless of where you come from, as long as you're okay with having authentic interactions with the goal of getting real work done. If you have a big ego or like casting blame when something goes wrong, then it's probably not the place for you. Work here is just about making great products that do what we say, helping our customers achieve more with our products, and running business in a way that we can all be proud to work here.

Cons

Things are moving fast. We are innovating and change is hard. Not everything has been figured out as we pivot quickly and have to adapt. These are not necessarily cons but just something that may be out of one's comfort zone at times.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and adapting

Discover more reviews about Guidewire.