Guidewire - High on Talent; Low on Bull$h!t | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

"High on Talent; Low on Bull$h!t"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Development Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone really does demonstrate the core values of integrity, rationality, and collegiality. Those who don't will not last long. Not many "politics" being played here.

Guidewire is well established to build and deliver a best in class product to a global industry that has traditionally been starved of innovation and which has a high barrier to entry.

The company continues to exhibit strong growth; in revenue, profits, and personnel. Positions and roles exist today which did not exist even a year ago. The recession has not inhibited the company's growth.

There is a flat hierarchy. Low emphasis on titles and a high emphasis on the value that you deliver.

Cons

The overall compensation package (salary, benefits, equity) is competitive, but you won't find luxurious perks such as a gourmet chef, tons of parties, a huge 401K match, daycare, or even free lunches. Conversely, you aren't expected to live at the office either. There is a flexible policy to maintain work / life balance.

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

1. "I will be staying here for a long time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the culture at Guidewire. The people are really nice here. I feel like I am working with some of the smartest people in Silicon Valley. Despite the work being cutting edge, the work-life balance is pretty good. You can work one day from home if you want. There is no micro management and you are kind of driving everything yourself. You can go to anyone to ask anything. The VP of engineering sits next to engineers on a similar desk. No cubicles, no offices. Everyone is treated the same.

Cons

The company is a little conservative with the perks. But the work-life balance compensates for that

Advice to Management

Move to a better place where there are enough lunch places around.

Some thing like table tennis, or foosball is really needed. Moving to a bigger place might help

2. "So happy I came here"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I interviewed, more than one person referenced the company values (Collegiality, Rationality, Integrity) as a great part about working here. I thought it was a strange thing to mention - who actually takes those HR slides seriously? But they really do here. It wasn't a line. Basically, it boils down to be respectful, be honest, and listen to reason over seniority or politics. Surprisingly refreshing and transparent.

I've been here less than a year, and I already feel like an integral part of the team. I've gotten many more responsibilities than at my previous job, and I have a great manager who I trust. On the whole, I feel happy and motivated coming into work every day.

Cons

Working on insurance software is about as unglamorous as you can get, especially in a Silicon Valley world that is more excited about the next iPhone app than anything else. It can be hard to explain what to do, and some of the problems can be very challenging to wrap your head around (workers compensation, anyone)

Benefits are solid, but not amazing. If you like the idea of free perks like laundry service or free everything, this is not the place for you. Guidewire makes no secret of prioritizing their budget.

Some growing pains of a rapidly expanding, recently public company. There is an old guard who has a harder time with it especially. The upside is, of course, that it is successful and growing.

Advice to Management

Health insurance could be better.