Guidewire - Amazing commitment to customer success without burning out employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

"Amazing commitment to customer success without burning out employees."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and disciplined coworkers. Products that customers love. Minimal corporate politics. Plentiful social events. Great salary and benefits. And it turns out that insurance is a more interesting domain that I expected it to be.

Cons

This is enterprise software for very conservative customers, so we have rather long release cycles (2 years between InsuranceSuite 7 and 8) compared to other places I've worked.

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

"Shipping quality code at a sustainable pace"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The code you write ships. Priorities are stable, you know what you'll be working on tomorrow. Good planning and high quality reduce crunch time and fires. Strong product management team does a great job defining and prioritizing work.

Cons

Two-year release cycle. Not-invented-here syndrome. Decade-old libraries and frameworks. The lack of modern architecture makes it difficult for high-skilled engineers to apply their knowledge.

Advice to Management

The sustainable pace of development and stable priorities are big assets, continue to protect them. Customers may not care about decade-old technology and a home-grown stack, but engineers like to maintain their marketability.

2. "The management transparency is inspiring - I feel included, a real stakeholder."

Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The core principles of rationality, integrity and collegiality are more than principles - they are part of every decision, at least that is the express goal of management and employees alike.

Cons

Sometimes being a public company requires we make decisions that are less rational to those affected than they might be. We had a minor layoff and to the individuals it seemed harsh.

Advice to Management

Involve lower level management in key decisions that affect them, to the degree possible.