Guidewire - Come work for us | Glassdoor

"Come work for us"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

A brilliant organization with clear goals and very satisfied customers. Ask anyone how often ex-employees come back within a year or less.

Cons

Perennially understaffed. We can't seem to find people of the caliber we'd expect at this level

Advice to Management

We are a very serious bunch. Lets have fun sometimes.

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

"A Long-term Workplace for High-Skill Grownups"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire is an rare phenomenon not only in Silicon Valley, but in the corporate world overall: a business run with extremely high integrity, passion, and long-term orientation all at the same time. The founders identified a deep (if obscure) market need and pursued it with unwavering focus and humility, quietly designing and building products far better than their competitors (as far as I can tell....). The implementation team is the most competent and selflessly committed I've seen in my long career in IT. The engineering organization is utterly free of the dysfunction and cynicism I'm so used to seeing in Silicon Valley. And the management team is unfailingly transparent with information to all employees, warts and all, treating its workforce as it should be: as highly skilled colleagues in a long-term endeavor, not as fungible inputs in a machine. It's gratifying to work for a place with a such bright prospects, but also so steady and rational a plan and such honesty. I just hope it keeps it up.....but given how many co-workers I see who have stayed for multiple years, through thick and thin, I'm very optimistic.

Cons

This is not Google or Facebook or Twitter. If you're after the sexy aspects of what those companies are said to offer (massages, free sushi lunches, all-night coding parties, whatever), you're not going to find it here. Nor will you retire a multi-millionaire with your stock options. The benefits are average. Also, HR is pretty amateur.

Advice to Management

Continue the commitment to transparency. Continue keeping the obstacles out of the way of employees getting their work done. Don't change the small-company policies that people love.

"Excellent Product, Employees and Company"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire is a financially solid software company that has taken on a tough market and performed very well. The culture is very "no nonsense" but the atmosphere is very collegial and there is not a sense of a strict hierarchy. The development organization is very innovative.

Cons

The marketing group at Guidewire is very traditional in their approach. The innovation that you see in development does not exist in marketing. That said, the group is talented and produces quality materials.

Advice to Management

Although a tight focus on results is important for a successful company, it is also important to make sure that employees are enthusiastic about their work. While I think this is understood by the execs in development, it is less so in other departments.