Guidewire - Lots of smart people but over-politicized | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

"Lots of smart people but over-politicized"

Current Employee - Development Leadership in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Development Leadership in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I respected 60-70% of the people I work with but the rest are either dead weight or playing unnecessary politics.

On an average I work 50-55 hours a week, which compared to what I was doing earlier is pretty good. In fact I think I'm probably at the higher end in my group... this speaks to good work-life balance.

Oh the alternate day bagels were nice.

Cons

Here are some of the biggest challenges at Guidewire:

1. The technology platform is prehistoric and developing quality applications rapidly is close to impossible
2. The learning curve is incredibly steep for engineers, consultants and customers
3. The general apathy towards investing in existing products and chasing down new revenue opportunities
4. Any group not involved in new revenue opportunities is largely ignored, even though we're the bread and butter of the organization
5. The leadership in Engineering, Marketing and Services don't seem to have management experience and don't realize the far reaching implications of decisions
6. The significant amount of mistrust between product teams is pretty astounding.
7. The PMO organization is over-empowered neutering Engineering and Product Management to some extent
8. Complete lack of trust in the QA organization
9. Software is delivered with a significant number of critical bugs

I ran into most of these issues as a cross functional leader engaged with number of these groups. I've been at Guidewire for a long time and I've seen the culture that was in place set firmly aside, which included innovation and agility.

Advice to Management

I been getting quite disappointed with the change in culture and am not sure how long I'll stay. I will try to work on some of these issues, but some are (as they say in the movies) beyond my pay grade.

I'm not the only one who feels this way and unless the leadership starts to institute changes like career development, personal growth, recognizing hard work, you'll see loyal people start to leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

"Best Place to work if you are in the right dept!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Company is very strong and the executive team is leading them to great success. They are relatively generous with Stock awards.

Cons

They offer very low salaries and do not treat their employees equally whatsoever. As is usually the case with any company, some departments are the golden children and the others are the stepchildren. But at Guidewire, the golden children are treated extremely well, and their stepchildren receive absolutely no respect or appreciation of value. The golden children have completely open doors to all executives, and the stepchildren's comments and suggestions fall on absolutely closed ears. Because they have been named a "Best Place to work," they spend all their time keeping the golden children spoiled and begging the step children to do surveys and say something nice about Guidewire.

Advice to Management

Stronger communication of roles within the company

"Guidewire mistakes become your headaches"

Current Employee - Integration Architect in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Integration Architect in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the insurance industry the company does appear to have a desirable product.

Cons

Internally, in professional services the company is set up so that an employee's ability to get reimbursed for business expenses may depend on the clients willingness to pay. Also, for a company of this size, the administrative functions, like payroll are a single individual. Low quality control in payroll means a huge surprise tax bill at the end of the year for professional services folks as we can work all over the US and abroad. How many 1,2, or 10k+ suprise tax bills would it take before you got fed up? That should be a question you ask yourself before joining because this is a common problem and most people do not have a spare 10k sitting around to pay because Guidewire made an accounting mistake. This is just an example of some of the things about this company that makes it a miserable experience.

Advice to Management

They need to invest internally in systems that make the lives of professional services employees easier.