Guidewire - Lots of smart people but over-politicized | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

"Lots of smart people but over-politicized"

Current Employee - Development Leadership in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Development Leadership in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I respected 60-70% of the people I work with but the rest are either dead weight or playing unnecessary politics.

On an average I work 50-55 hours a week, which compared to what I was doing earlier is pretty good. In fact I think I'm probably at the higher end in my group... this speaks to good work-life balance.

Oh the alternate day bagels were nice.

Cons

Here are some of the biggest challenges at Guidewire:

1. The technology platform is prehistoric and developing quality applications rapidly is close to impossible
2. The learning curve is incredibly steep for engineers, consultants and customers
3. The general apathy towards investing in existing products and chasing down new revenue opportunities
4. Any group not involved in new revenue opportunities is largely ignored, even though we're the bread and butter of the organization
5. The leadership in Engineering, Marketing and Services don't seem to have management experience and don't realize the far reaching implications of decisions
6. The significant amount of mistrust between product teams is pretty astounding.
7. The PMO organization is over-empowered neutering Engineering and Product Management to some extent
8. Complete lack of trust in the QA organization
9. Software is delivered with a significant number of critical bugs

I ran into most of these issues as a cross functional leader engaged with number of these groups. I've been at Guidewire for a long time and I've seen the culture that was in place set firmly aside, which included innovation and agility.

Advice to Management

I been getting quite disappointed with the change in culture and am not sure how long I'll stay. I will try to work on some of these issues, but some are (as they say in the movies) beyond my pay grade.

I'm not the only one who feels this way and unless the leadership starts to institute changes like career development, personal growth, recognizing hard work, you'll see loyal people start to leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire

"Great company..."

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior leadership is outstanding. Good compensation. Overall great workforce. Market leader in P&C technology space.

Cons

Consultants tend to be disconnected from their direct manager. Very little mentorship.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about mentoring and do it.

"Best Place to work if you are in the right dept!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Company is very strong and the executive team is leading them to great success. They are relatively generous with Stock awards.

Cons

They offer very low salaries and do not treat their employees equally whatsoever. As is usually the case with any company, some departments are the golden children and the others are the stepchildren. But at Guidewire, the golden children are treated extremely well, and their stepchildren receive absolutely no respect or appreciation of value. The golden children have completely open doors to all executives, and the stepchildren's comments and suggestions fall on absolutely closed ears. Because they have been named a "Best Place to work," they spend all their time keeping the golden children spoiled and begging the step children to do surveys and say something nice about Guidewire.

Advice to Management

Stronger communication of roles within the company