Guild for Human Services - Stressful and demanding job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guild for Human Services

"Stressful and demanding job."

Current Employee - Residential Assistant in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Residential Assistant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Guild for Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is good. Great co-workers. I get a lot of exercise working with the students. Working at the school versus the residential homes is much better and safer due to the staff to student ratio.

Cons

Be prepared to work with extremely challenging & behavioral intensive students. Injuries are not uncommon. Upper management is not supportive of their hard working employees and are rarely seen at the homes. Overall well being of other students are often not considered when taking new placements. Often feel like I have been placed in a unsafe staffing ratio.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to spend more time at the homes. Place student needs and realistic staffing above the need to fill vacant spots. Behavioral support personnel need to help staff more.

Other Employee Reviews for Guild for Human Services

1. "Loved the work, struggled with management"

Pros

You will learn so much working here, and there is a lot of room of growth. I loved working with the students and had some of the best experiences of my life working with them. One thing that's great about the staff is that they have a lot of respect for the people who are good at their jobs. If you are good at your job, people will notice. Also, in recent years they started a program to help pay for employees to earn their Master's in Special education, which is a fantastic opportunity if you want to go down that track. I wouldn't trade the time working at the Guild for anything.

Cons

Pay as relatively low, especially if you are not a certified teacher. Upper management is often reactionary, disjointed, and excessively top-down. And of course, there's always the potential for injury, but you should know that before you apply for the job.

Advice to Management

I understand that managing a school like the Guild is extremely difficult, so I don't want to be harsh. But I definitely did not always feel like direct care staff were taken seriously, and their concerns often went unaddressed.

2. "The Guild"

Pros

Students and other staff are great

Cons

Overall there is low staff morale