Guitar Center - It's an good first step for some musicians, and an ok stable job if you're in the right place | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guitar Center

"It's an good first step for some musicians, and an ok stable job if you're in the right place"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good enviornment for musicians (especially if they need equipment)
-Great benefits
-If an employee needs to leave for an extended period (up to 90 days), he/she will still have a job once they have returned

Cons

-If you start off in the wrong department or work in a slow environment, don't expect to exceed minimum wage until you've been promoted all the way up to assistant manager.
-Sales expectations are pretty high and somewhat unrealistic unless you're cutthroat about commission (or work in pro audio)

Advice to Management

More realistic sales goals for those selling different items. I haven't seen anyone make over the set sales goal when they're selling one pack of strings at a time rather than one guitar or one PA system at a time.

Other Employee Reviews for Guitar Center

1. "The Walmart of the Music World."

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being around a lot of cool people. Thats really about it....

Cons

Its a JOKE of a company. Minimum pay for a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Pay accordingly

"Dead End Blvd"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People...mostly non-management are awesome friends that anyone should be able to get along with.

Cons

Under the guise of a rock n roll store it is more like a legal pyramid scheme. We sell to customers, management sell to us, District managers sell to the store managers and so on. Everyone has a crazy goal to hit with out incentive. Asst Managers get more responsibility while basically getting a cut in pay. It encourages rivalry and over competing. I have made good money here, but in reality for the amount of work we do there should be more money being made. Showing employees false cost on items so you can pay them less than they really earned us unethical. Also bragging about closing mom and pop stores is shameful. One the other hand this is a bane capital investment. Rich guys first and the worker ants last. Oh yeah no family life working here. Say goodbye ti most holidays.

Advice to Management

What happened to using GC as a vehicle to pursue dreams instead of crushing them. HELP US OUT....