Guitar Center - The Walmart of the Music World. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guitar Center

"The Walmart of the Music World."

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being around a lot of cool people. Thats really about it....

Cons

Its a JOKE of a company. Minimum pay for a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Pay accordingly

Other Employee Reviews for Guitar Center

"Dead End Blvd"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People...mostly non-management are awesome friends that anyone should be able to get along with.

Cons

Under the guise of a rock n roll store it is more like a legal pyramid scheme. We sell to customers, management sell to us, District managers sell to the store managers and so on. Everyone has a crazy goal to hit with out incentive. Asst Managers get more responsibility while basically getting a cut in pay. It encourages rivalry and over competing. I have made good money here, but in reality for the amount of work we do there should be more money being made. Showing employees false cost on items so you can pay them less than they really earned us unethical. Also bragging about closing mom and pop stores is shameful. One the other hand this is a bane capital investment. Rich guys first and the worker ants last. Oh yeah no family life working here. Say goodbye ti most holidays.

Advice to Management

What happened to using GC as a vehicle to pursue dreams instead of crushing them. HELP US OUT....

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guitar Center is a fun environment with lots of like minds. Working on the sales floor gives you access to quality equipment and there is always an opportunity to learn things if you are a novice or a trained musician employee discount is great if you are a musician.

Cons

Because the salary is sales-based, sales are always the top priority. It makes sense but when the store managers and assistant store managers have a sales quota to meet it is a conflict of interest with the employees on the floor. There is a lot of turn-over which makes the store have to hire random people off of the street with no musical background to sell equipment. Sure, selling musical instruments isn't rocket science but why not keep around people who know a thing or two about the equipment?

Advice to Management

Managers should be around long enough to protect their employees and maintain a relationship.