Guitar Center - I made a lot of friends, a lot of good connections, but the pay wasn't great and it was still retail. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Guitar Center

"I made a lot of friends, a lot of good connections, but the pay wasn't great and it was still retail."

Former Employee - Guitar Salesman in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Guitar Salesman in Boston, MA

I worked at Guitar Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good, a lot of deeply discounted or free stuff, the people I worked with I liked and I got to play guitar whenever I wanted.

Cons

The hours and the compensation are pretty standard for a retail job. I did end up working Christmas Eve which wasn't great, but it was also probably one of my best days as a salesperson.

Other Employee Reviews for Guitar Center

"Bittersweet If you want to work here make sure you are striving to be a store manager or higher and the patience to wait"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, easy going environment, play around with the latest gear, really good employee discount

Cons

WAGES!!! closing employees do at least one hour of non commission work because you only get paid when you sell something so a closer will have to clean store including bathrooms and break rooms for free, advancement is slow, you must sell extended warranties or it will be deducted from you pay

Advice to Management

you need a better way to evaluate employee's work not just by how many extended warranties they sell. good people with good customer reviews have been let go for not meeting quota

"Good place to work for working musician"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Guitar Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The networking you can do as a musician is awesome. Not to mention the great people you get to work with. Even though it doesnt pay

Cons

The fade system they have in place for commission is annoying. Basically they pay you minimum wage and if you make enough commission to cover that hourly rate, you get whats left over as a "bonus". Also, career advancement is basically pointless since you get a minimal raise but you get 3x more duty and responsibility that takes you away from selling.

Advice to Management

Re-think your management pay and opportunity structure. And try and be more competitive with what you pay. I know mom and pop stores that pay better and obviously make way less.