Gulfstream - Top-notch company for which to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gulfstream

"Top-notch company for which to work"

Current Employee - Cabinet Maker II in Savannah, GA
Current Employee - Cabinet Maker II in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is great!

Cons

Rotating shifts may be required

Other Employee Reviews for Gulfstream

"New Employee - First Impressions"

Current Employee - Technical Data Associate II in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Data Associate II in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation compared to other companies in the Savannah, GA area - you can actually live very comfortably and not paycheck to paycheck; paid weekly; and great training for new employees, to include more training and education options to enhance your current knowledge and improve your work performance.

Cons

Can be a pro and con; HR is highly selective of applicants which can be good in ensuring the company hires high-quality employees; the downfall to this is they prevent the hiring managers from being able to sort through some applicants that may be highly-desirable; at times they can be a little over the top! Let the hiring managers do some of the decision-making! Some people just look good on paper!

Advice to Management

No advice yet, will post an update after my first 3-6 months!

"Flight Test is the worst!"

Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

Free coffee. There are also a few (very few) that are willing to help train you as long as you ask.....and keep asking.

Cons

Major lack of OJT, very cut throat, contractors are treated as indispensable, everyone in flight test has nothing but negative reviews of said place (including the permanent workers), the programs used for production are quite often inaccurate and tons of red tape has to be cut in order to correct such an anomaly (It can literally take days to install a simple bracket), too many people, not enough work (yes, I said that right) which means no training yet you're told to look busy. That means sweeping the floor or walking around the airplane for 10 hours straight.

The G650 is supposedly behind on production so Gulfstreams knee-jerk reaction is to hire a large sum of employees as well as bring in outside talent from other Gulfstream plants (MA and FL). So, here we have 20 people on one aircraft fighting for something to do while the new contract employees get kicked around and swept under the rug.

I had high expectations of this place. I had always heard good things....until I worked there and heard it from actual employees. Maybe they're admin sections is a stellar one but to be a Final Line Mech III in Flight Test is by far the worse example of training and management that I have seen to date.

Also, if you ever get a chance, look inside one of the aircraft in flight test. Rivets, nuts, washers and safety wire can be found throughout the electrical compartments. Safe? I think not....

Advice to Management

It's not people that you need to speed up production. It's parts. Find a way to speed up part delivery and you will be a step ahead. Also, while having such a large amount of downtime, set up OJT for the new guys. You have tons of experience on the floor. Why not utilize that to your advantage?