Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center - average care for average people, not-state-of-the-art | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

"average care for average people, not-state-of-the-art"

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

many outlying clinics in areas that need medical care available
some excellent subspecialists and physical therapists
some people care

Cons

can't get seen in some departments for 6 months (as new patient)
patient care when it is convenient for staff, and staff want it to stay this way
people in management positions want things to stay status quo, don't want to bring care up to date
communication is terrible both within and between departments

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people in management that don't understand that care needs to be up to date and that lying can't be tolerated and is unprofessional.
Get rid of staff that are not interested in being true, real patient advocates. Too many older employees are coasting instead of working hard for the patient.
Figure out how to get departments who can't be bothered to see a new patient for 6 months up to speed so that patients are taken care of in a timely fashion. People can't wait that long.
If you really want to offer state-of-the-art care then find out what that really, really means outside of La Crosse and then do it, or don't advertise that you are right up there with the best.

Other Employee Reviews for Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

"Excellent Pension Benefits and Good salary, but..."

Current Employee - Family Physician
    Current Employee - Family Physician

Pros

Patient Care paramount to system.
    Ethics are strong.
    Believe in their Mission and Values.
    Specialists are very knowledgable and very accessible.
    Excellent Clinical Guideline sources from specialities.
    Multiple Awards for Excellence in Medicine given to System.
    Low turnover, but that was changing.
    Adequate CME allowance, but not if used for High travel or hotel cost CME events.
    Business Expenses covered, probably usual amount. I did not use very often.
    Job offer comes quickly if offered.

Cons

Communication poor, although listed as very important. Tons of email once employed, but few of real value to a physician, ie. a lot of IT advisements, or general staff advisements.
    Understaffed, but may be OK in Main Center. Trending to a lot of MA's vs nurses, with very limited abilities related to their lack of education in nursing knowledge. They make poor nurse replacements and therefore poor helpmeets for physicians. Some can be outstanding, but you know they are not going to stay an MA for long.
    Vacation and CME time per usual, but very limited ability to take that time, with increasing restrictions on when one can use it, and then if not used, it disappears.
    Heavy emphasis on Leadership ability and being a Leader, but no time allowances for it. It all must be done on own time.
    Education offered but again own time used.
    No travel time allowances leading to need to be in 2 places at the same time.
    Confusing documentation system for work meetings, CME, vacation, sick time, etc.
    Everything on computer, eg. Doctor Handbook, and the other usual basics usually given in hard copy by other clinic systems, and updated yearly. No knowledge the Handbook existed, I found by accident. It contains essential information not mentioned unless specific questions asked. Need to be very savvy employee, to think of these questions during whirlwind interview visit.
    Interview is indeed whirlwind visit. Recruitment staff good, but there was a period after I accepted offer, where no communication came, and I was beginning to think I imagined it all. Need to establish and maintain contact yourself. They don't seem to have any established routines, but that was 6 years ago.

Advice to Management

You are probably still a great place to work (for other people), but communication remains a real issue.
    You are trying hard to balance the Business of Medicine with The Art of Medicine, but times are rolling too quickly to keep up when a large bureaucracy is involved.
    I am a mother too, and I understand it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time, but perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the main center.
    I received a very nice letter from Jeff Thompson after I began work, stating he would be around to my clinic to meet me and see how things were going. Estimated time line was 3 months. I was impressed it was actually hand signed, although still a form letter. I was still waiting for that meeting at the end of my employment after 4 years. Do not offer what you cannot do.

2. "Part of a family."

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant

Pros

Vision - everyone is working toward the same goals.

Cons

Expensive health insurance and always doing more with less.