Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

~supportive manager who allows personal and team growth
~opportunities to attend conferences and workshops out-of-state

Cons

~lack of support from the higher-ups
~have to work overtime almost every week

Other Employee Reviews for Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center

1. "average care for average people, not-state-of-the-art"

I have been working at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

many outlying clinics in areas that need medical care available
    some excellent subspecialists and physical therapists
    some people care

Cons

can't get seen in some departments for 6 months (as new patient)
    patient care when it is convenient for staff, and staff want it to stay this way
    people in management positions want things to stay status quo, don't want to bring care up to date
    communication is terrible both within and between departments

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people in management that don't understand that care needs to be up to date and that lying can't be tolerated and is unprofessional.
    Get rid of staff that are not interested in being true, real patient advocates. Too many older employees are coasting instead of working hard for the patient.
    Figure out how to get departments who can't be bothered to see a new patient for 6 months up to speed so that patients are taken care of in a timely fashion. People can't wait that long.
    If you really want to offer state-of-the-art care then find out what that really, really means outside of La Crosse and then do it, or don't advertise that you are right up there with the best.

2. "I worked there for 20 years and lost my job. Worst department in Gundersen...Transcription"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was great. Benefits were okay, getting less and less as the years went on. Early on in my career there it was great! Fun staff to work with and very flexible.

Cons

The transcription department specifically at Gundersen Lutheran was very inflexible and treated us a factory workers instead of educated individuals work with confidential and important medical information. It was production, production, production and no care for quality. No other department within that system works this way. They have now eliminated most of the transcriptionists and are outsourcing their work to a transcription company. All very money oriented.

Advice to Management

Very poor running of a very important department. I know the quality is gone now from that aspect of the clinic and as a patient I would be worried about what is actually going into my medical record.