Gymboree - Terrible Place To Work | Glassdoor

"Terrible Place To Work"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Sales Lead in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

~I have a job
~Some of the children are great
~I have a job? (I've got nothing else)

Cons

I've been with the company for two years, and it has been the WORST 2 years ever, and I've worked some terrible jobs. I worked a full six months without being trained properly and made many mistakes that not only could have cost me my job but also made me look incompetent (which I was) to customers.

~Always closing
~Not being able to go the bathroom for hours as I wait for my second person to come in...hours later.
~Sales leads (like myself) get paid the salary of an experienced sales associate, and don't even try to work overtime.
~A DM who doesn't care that the manager yells and belittles the associates.
~SECRET SHOPPERS (CSE) having to always be on guard because your next customer might be your secret shopper. The list of points you have to hit to get a 100% is ridiculous.
~Newline, after newline, after newline! The floor sets are usually big, and they are often, sometimes coming one after the other.
~The workload! It is impossible to get everything on the long list that is given to us done in one day, deal with customers, answer phones, call in 2:45 reads, scan Gymbucks, explain Gymbucks, explain why everything on the rounders aren't 50% off but actually UP TO 50% off, and scan every single item for the customers because they don't believe that the price on the ticket is the actual price. It is impossible and stressful, and it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Come out of the office and into the store. I'm not talking about walking in and checking out our customer service skills, but get behind the registers, and help customers by yourself without going to the bathroom for hours. You can't possibly hand down rules and lists of things to do without first doing it yourself. It's so easy to say what should be done, but try doing it yourself first.

Work on the pay, it's terrible. Allocate enough hours so that the LOD isn't alone any longer than 30mins. If I'm dealing with a very difficult situation I' like to be able to walk away and get myself together, but I can't do that when I'm alone for three and four hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Gymboree

"The worst job I ever had."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

You get a good discount on items that are very expensive.
    If you're looking for a job that will give you just a few hours a week, this is what they do.

Cons

Sales associates get very few hours, and store managers are overloaded with hours
    Use of scare tactics and yelling by management, even when it's unnecessary
    Tried to cheat me out of my hours by making me clock out when we closed, and then clean up.
    Unpaid training after closing (got away with this 'cause they said it was 'optional' but if you refused to go, you would get screamed at and threatened)
    I worked at several stores, picking up shifts for people and none of them seemed content to be working there.
    Also, there were way too many employees for how small of a store we were, so everyone except for management was part time and not getting many hours, yet they made it impossible to get a second job because they made you be available all of the time (they even called me in when I was in school--which I kept telling them I couldn't come during those hours and got told to come anyways and yelled at when I didn't show up.)
    You're expected to know all of the new lines and where everything in the store is, even if you only come in to work once or twice a week, and get yelled at and guilt tripped if you don't.
    It was a bad experience, I don't recommend working there to anyone!

Advice to Management

Actually value your employees instead of abuse them. My experience was one that many stores across the DFW metroplex were experiencing, and I think that stems from that fact that they were managed by a DM that was very, very pushy and demanding. I think if you stopped promoting those types of people, you'd have happier employees and better service.

"The most frustrating and least rewarding job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Love seeing and interacting with the children.

Cons

WORST: Sales Leads are required to work alone. We are instructed NOT to use the bathroom unless another employee can cover the floor. Cheap upper management.
    We get scolded and basically threatened if our store doesn't receive enough Gymboree Listens survey feedback high scores. Hello? There are times I have over 15 customers in the store, there's a line to check out and I'M BY MYSELF!!! How in the world can I give " legendary" customer service when I'm swamped, the phone is ringing and there are multiple customer requests for various items?
    Salaries are inadequate for sales staff. Sales Leads make just 30 to 60 cents more than associates. Yet we open ALONE, work most of the day ALONE and then count the money, do the paperwork and lock up!
    Employee morale is a joke. The district manager lives in a dream world. She terrorizes the employees with snide, demeaning comments, and generally a lack of empathy towards the employees. She doesn't even know how to work the cash register. I have yet to meet one employee at the 6 stores I've worked in that respects the woman.
    No one wants to work at the outlets. They are extremely busy and seemingly always understaffed. I have filled in there a few times. Incredible stress and pressure at the outlets.

Advice to Management

Review salaries. Boost morale by LISTENING to your employees. Maybe store managers should be paid to attend meetings? Maybe supply a CHAIR for them to sit on? Once in a while FEED them and display gratitude for the many, many hours they work beyond the 40/week?
    Mandate that no one should work alone. Clearly this is a safety issue as well as a way to improve customer service.
    LISTEN to the store managers regarding staffing issues.
    Why can't inventory be sent in some kind of ORGANIZED manner? Why does our retail store get a ton of fleece during the late spring? Then the DM comes in and criticizes the lack of space in the backroom. DOH!
    Just really out of touch.